Vanishing fifth gear

big al
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Vanishing fifth gear

Post by big al »

I could have SWORN that there was a bonafide fifth gear when we first joined the case halves...spun over the output shaft and ran the shift drum thru its paces and everything seemed to be just fine. BUT. Now that the clutch is in place, it will click into every gear except fifth. The shift drum rotates halfway to fifth and stops in what amount to a "neutral" where fifth gear should be. Tried slowly rotating the engine over to see if it would line anything up, but no, just a very unwanted neutral where 5th should be. It's my understanding that there's really only one way the gearbox will go back together. Is it possible that it's as simple as removing the clutch and re-indexing one of the shafts, or does this sound like a "remove engine, split cases and find out what I screwed up" operation????

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Sounds like an engine split to me... :? But hang on big al, someone else may prove me wrong.... :idea:
ICOA # 656

piit
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by piit »

Hi, maybe you already have solved the issue, but I had almost similar problem in last spring after put crank cases back together. Driving with fifth gear cause problem after rpm reached approx. 4500-5000 --> gear was switched always to neutral. The cause was wrong gearshift drum assembly and after carefully reassembly problem was solved. I would check this before splitting crank cases. It is maybe different case if the transmission shafts were break up in parts.
-piit-

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”