79`s and Prolink clutches ,Question....

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

79`s and Prolink clutches ,Question....

Post by Phil »

Just installed one this weekend on my 79. Every thing runs and functions perfectly. Only concern is that the clutch nut only engages about 2/3 rds of its thread. Torqed to 40 ft lbs ok but there is 2 or 3 threads hanging out. Anybody else have this problem ? Cause for concern ?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Did you change the sleeve also? It is different from the 79/80. Just changing the basket will not work.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Yes, every part from 81/82. A complete unit from Luois. Wondering if this is typical to have the nut not fully engaged with the threads on this conversion. Works perfect though but keeping me awake at night.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Without looking at the parts diagram, I can't say for sure, but one of the two clucth set-ups also has only one washer. Did you take one of the washers out? Have you made sure the rear gear drive is correctly engaged?

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Phil, the primary driven gear has an inner and outer gear, you need to make sure both sets of gears are aligned and pointed near the 6:00 to 7:00 position so that the clutch outer gear meshes with the primary driven gear and it seats all the way.

reference to 81/82 manual, 8-10

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Phil, this is what this looks like. If you don't find a pair of gears in the primaryshaft gear that align, the clutch gear will not properly engage and the clutch outer will not seat all the way down.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

The clutch gear engages the inner gear but only about half way from what I could see. The new sleeve is shorter than my 79 sleeve. I only got one of the two thrust washers needed from Louis with this setup and made another, the one supplied measured .098 thick. Can someone confirm that is the right thickness? Think I`ll pull it apart this weekend and double check things. Maybe go to the dealer and look at pictures in an 82 manual.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS thanks for the pic, like they say a picture is worth 1000 words.

Phil, when the basket is seated and everything is torqued, there are only a few threads of the shaft showing.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:EMS thanks for the pic, like they say a picture is worth 1000 words.
It helps to have loose parts lying around :lol:
How about the washer issue. I thought there was only one in the Prolink clutch :? :?

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:EMS thanks for the pic, like they say a picture is worth 1000 words.

Phil, when the basket is seated and everything is torqued, there are only a few threads of the shaft showing.
Then there is a deffinate problem somewhere, I`ve got about 1/3 of the nut threads showing. :? :? :?

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

More nut threads = clutch sitting deeper

Post by Ringnalda »

If your adjustment nut is showing threads, then the clutch is sitting deeper and you need to bring it closer to the mechanism. Check the placement and presence of all required washers. Also stick your old clutch on a flat plate and measure to the top of the actuator rod. Then repeat with the later unit... You are talking about a three mm difference; easy to spot.

Jan
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

No Jan , not the adjusting nut but the big nut in the center holding the whole clutch in.

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

Oops,

That is usually the case when the oil drive slides between the sleeve and the shaft. Put the sleeve on all the way, then put the oil drive on, then put the clutch on and wiggle. Select the position of the primary shaft such that the clutch can go all the way back as shown in Mike's great pictures.

Jan
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

When I get some more gaskets I`ll have another look in there but I`d swear it all went together right. :?

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Hi Phil

Click this link
http://www.cbxclub.com/Xpress/200502.pdf

then.... scroll to page 4 and check out the article on putting late model clutches in early models.

This is a PDF and will take a few min to launch

Hope it helps you out.

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”