Check Out This Ebay Seller....

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Check Out This Ebay Seller....

Post by Carl »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB ... 9653QQrdZ1

He doesn't even know the year of the bike that he is selling! What a schmuck!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Say It Loud.....I Own a CBX and I'm Proud!!

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Inverted oil cooler is "interesting".... :shock:
ICOA # 656

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I missed the oil cooler itself. It was the mounting brackets that caught my eye, one of the many non stock bits.
How about the muffler?
It certainly looks like the DG head pipes but i have not seen that muffler end cap before. Is it a new Kerker muffler?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Not too sure Steve, my expertise is limited to RC, OMT, it looks to me like he has a 1980 with 79 Comstars, a mixture of components for sure... :shock:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Pretty sure it is a 1980. Tailpiece compartment and Speedometer, as well as the air assist forks indicate so. Besides, the seller admits the wheels are not standard which, if true, can only mean it is a 1980 and not a 1979. Listing the VIN-number would easily solve the mystery, but I don't know why so many sellers just don't want to do it. Even one of the largest and most reputable - by his own perception - dealers of CBX motorcycles and parts never lists a VIN-number when selling a bike on ebay. :roll:
I am not an expert in 6into1's, but I know that the DG and Kerker used the same header, just different mufflers.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

alimey4u2 wrote:Inverted oil cooler is "interesting".... :shock:
My 79 that I owned since it was two years old was like this. Upside down cooler with spacers just like in the picture. When I bought it it had a Vetter fairing on it. Maybe that was a relocation kit to work with the fairing ? Never dawned on me it wasn`t originally like that till I parked next to Steve Passwaters 79 at AMA Vintage days last year and compared them. Nice to have a standard to compare with. :)

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Phil wrote: Maybe that was a relocation kit to work with the fairing ?
That would explain it Phil, Thanks...... :thumupp: I wonder if there is a down tube inside the cooler (on the entry end) to improve the performance.... ??
ICOA # 656

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

"Restorations"

Post by Ringnalda »

Well a quick picture of the VIN plate and the Engine # seems to be almost a requirement, as a bunch of these 'experts' grab a bunch of CBX parts and assume interchangeability. I have just fixed a very wobbly rear end on a bike to discover someone had used a 1980 swing arm with 1980 footrest plates in a 1979 frame. And the 1979 bolt to hold it in place. Now THERE's an interesting ride! We have seen 1979 bikes with 1980 engines, we have seen frames with NO VIN but '80 vintage with 1979 engines, all from 'expert' outfits.

Of course the guy selling this bike just doesn't have a clue, but with that much chrome, it has to be expensive, right?

Be careful out there,

Jan
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

alimey4u2 wrote:
Phil wrote: Maybe that was a relocation kit to work with the fairing ?
That would explain it Phil, Thanks...... :thumupp: I wonder if there is a down tube inside the cooler (on the entry end) to improve the performance.... ??
I had a Vetter on my 80 when I bought it and the oil cooler was not inverted as this one is.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Interesting....

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Phil:
I put a brand new Windjammer on my '79 in 1980, for a few years (fairing gone now). Those spacers DID come with the Windjammer kit and you did turn the cooler upside down. Anytime you see a naked CBX with those spacers - it had a Windjammer on it sometime during it's life. The owner just didn't know enough to take them out with the fairing.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Phil wrote:Interesting....
I second that remark, Phil :!: :lol:

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

daves79x wrote:Phil:
I put a brand new Windjammer on my '79 in 1980, for a few years (fairing gone now). Those spacers DID come with the Windjammer kit and you did turn the cooler upside down. Anytime you see a naked CBX with those spacers - it had a Windjammer on it sometime during it's life. The owner just didn't know enough to take them out with the fairing.

Dave
Mystery solved :clap:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”