Oh no, not another engine oil question...

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oh no, not another engine oil question...

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

A little different this time.
A friend has a CBX[yes it is mine] that has been using full synthetic motorcycle engine oil for 10 years. I changed the oil and filter and mistakenly used SEMI-synthetic.
Can i expect any problems?
How about if i had used non-synthetic? [i didn't]
Thanks for any input.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I doubt if anything would go wrong as full synth is NOT a requirement for motorcycle engines, only motorcycle specific motor oil is (wet clutches). I do think though that semi synth is only half as good as it could be...
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Hi Steve

My thinking is both Synthetic and Semi-Synthetic offer superior performance to the Non-Synthetic that every Honda CBX came from the factory........ so there should be no problem.

If you want that warm and fuzzy feeling vs thinking about this, I would recommend thinking about draining the Semi-Synthetic and use it in your car or lawn mower and put full Synthetic in the CBX.

Best

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Mike Barone #123 wrote:
If you want that warm and fuzzy feeling vs thinking about this, I would recommend thinking about draining the Semi-Synthetic and use it in your car or lawn mower and put full Synthetic in the CBX.
Best
Mike
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Semi-synthetics are blends with a maximum of 30% synthetic base stock. Any semi-synthetic should be compatible, i.e.: "mixable" with petroleum based or full synthetic oils. The only disadvantage I can think of is, that you may not have the same protection against deposits as the synthetic provided that you used for years. But for one change cycle, you should be fine. :?:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks guys.
About what i figured. I am very happy with the MOTUL full synthetic motorcycle oil that i have been using in the '79. I just need to wear my glasses full time when shopping, i guess.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

While we are on the oil subject again, anybody have any thoughts on what is best, dino, semi, or full syn, as far as long term film drain off of parts such as cam lobes, while the bike is in storage say over winter? I have read lots of oil tech articles but have never seen this subject addressed.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”