Used motor purchases: crap shoot?

TomR #5505

Used motor purchases: crap shoot?

Post by TomR #5505 »

Men, I need some help. I recently purchased a replacement motor for my '79, and it came in w/bad compresssion and smoked badly....but it did run! A tear down found rust damaged cylinders, a water etched and blackened crank, bent con rod on #4, and more.....the only things salvageable are two rods! How does one protect himself on a "sight unseen" purchase...and does anybody have any ideas as to how a problem like this migt be fairly resolved to both parties satisfaction? (Seller just knows that "it ran", and it did run...I'm out a lot of dough with no running cbx and 75 degree weather!

I know that there are few guarantees in life, fewer still with twenty year old bikes! How do I best insure my next purchase?

I still need a GOOD motor, or a bunch of parts! Any ideas or help out there? Let me know!

TomR #5505

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

used motors....

Post by sr71cbx »

TomR,
Check with Louis,I believe he's got some engine assemblies.I bought another engine assembly last fall from him and it is the sweetest-running engine,mechanically and performance-wise,I have seen in a long time.He can be reached @ usedcbxparts@hotmail.com,e-mail him and ask him,maybe he could help you.I'm well-pleased with the engine I bought and he cut a decent deal too. 8)

Ron#5602
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

used motor

Post by Ron#5602 »

TomR,

Mark tells the truth, I to bought a motor from Louis and it works perfect.

Hope you didn't pay to much.

Ron#5602

E Lee

Used motors

Post by E Lee »

Tom,
Don't feel alone on this one! I did the same thing and had the same results! :evil:
I did contact the seller and after a long time we finally had a small compensation.
This does not even come close to down time not to mention the endless hours wrenching the old one out and new one in!
More so like you say, now what, still don't have a ride!
I started calling around again a bit wiser this time I hope because if all goes well will fire this second engine today. A bit wiser but still a crap shoot. There were a few questions I asked that helped me select this engine.
The first.
I asked myself how quickly did I want a motor and would this make me compromise possibly waiting for another to show up.
The second &......
Had the seller actually driven or can run this motor.
If so did it smoke or use oil?
Were there any unusual noises?
Were they willing, did or can do a compression check.
Are all the spark plug threads good or are there coils?
What is included in motor purchase. i.e. Carb isolators, Alt., Starter, Oil bypass hose, Clutch.
Are all the cases and covers there and good.
Any broken fins, cracks etc...
This second motor came from Louis, He answered the questions, I did not ask the compression one because he said he had actually riden it "recently" and it ran fine. He told me for what ever reason the owner had done some ugly things with a can of black spray paint. Compression was good and bead blaster took care of paint. I forgot the carb isolator question so it cost me $22 each for new but made life easier them being fresh and flexible to get carb rack on.
If you don't get the answer you want to hear just think of it as another potential "bad" motor or more $$$ and time from you.
Ol-SMOKEY did run pretty good so between it and original will be the Big Bore rebuild project but for now let's hope the one will put me back on the road!
Good Luck,
Wish me Luck,
Yo
Later,
Ed #5428

E Lee

Used motors

Post by E Lee »

Tom,
Don't feel alone on this one! I did the same thing and had the same results! :evil:
I did contact the seller and after a long time we finally had a small compensation.
This does not even come close to down time not to mention the endless hours wrenching the old one out and new one in!
More so like you say, now what, still don't have a ride!
I started calling around again a bit wiser this time I hope because if all goes well will fire this second engine today. A bit wiser but still a crap shoot. There were a few questions I asked that helped me select this engine.
The first.
I asked myself how quickly did I want a motor and would this make me compromise possibly waiting for another to show up.
The second &......
Had the seller actually driven or can run this motor.
If so did it smoke or use oil?
Were there any unusual noises?
Were they willing, did or can do a compression check.
Are all the spark plug threads good or are there coils?
What is included in motor purchase. i.e. Carb isolators, Alt., Starter, Oil bypass hose, Clutch.
Are all the cases and covers there and good.
Any broken fins, cracks etc...
This second motor came from Louis, He answered the questions, I did not ask the compression one because he said he had actually riden it "recently" and it ran fine. He told me for what ever reason the owner had done some ugly things with a can of black spray paint. Compression was good and bead blaster took care of paint. I forgot the carb isolator question so it cost me $22 each for new but made life easier them being fresh and flexible to get carb rack on.
If you don't get the answer you want to hear just think of it as another potential "bad" motor or more $$$ and time from you.
Ol-SMOKEY did run pretty good so between it and original will be the Big Bore rebuild project but for now let's hope the one will put me back on the road!
Good Luck,
Wish me Luck,
Yo
Later,
Ed #5428

Tom R# 5505

new motor

Post by Tom R# 5505 »

THANKS, guys, all great advice! Ed, let me know how your new baby is running. I will give Louis a call! Tom R #5505

E Lee

Used motor swap

Post by E Lee »

Hey gents,
Got it fired :D It runs, no unusual noises. Oil pressure great a few minor oil leaks. To early to tell otherwise. Between the Kreem coat inside new DG's 6:1 (a little to quiet may have to play with the baffle) and engine paint plus that start up fuel with Marvel Mystery Oil hopefully will cook off and we shall see.
Later,
Ed

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

used engine.......

Post by sr71cbx »

Hey Ed,
My fresh engine smoked for about 5 min.or so till the rings & such found their seal,and 8 lb.boost pretty much ensured that...............sounds lke it'll be OK,now you can go to Death Valley!! 8)

E Lee

engine

Post by E Lee »

Hey Mark,
Death Valley - hmmm, don't know and it's coming up soon right?
Yep, set up the fans and gave it the second start. It's very promising. Did not smoke much at all! I think I have a good-en! :D . Had to take the packing out of DG though, neighbors might get spoiled. :twisted: Found out there is a dyno now in SF. If weather cooperates will do a little ride, precautionary oil and filter and carb sync.
Thanks and know will be seeking your help. Someday may actually get on a ride with ya.
Later,
Ed

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Death Valley-new engine...........

Post by sr71cbx »

Ed,
Death Valley '03 is this weekend.............25th,26th,27th,& 28th,check out the rally postings in the forum here. 8)

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Used Motors

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

Folks,
On any used motor or used motorcycle, I always drop the pan and look up at the oil screen. I have on several occasions found the screen partially plugged with silicon, cloth and other crap. It doesn't take but a few minutes and can prevent a disaster.

Regards, Tom

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”