Will not start

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Will not start

Post by DevonCbx »

Well, the back yard guy that I am, I finally assembled my CBX. Last October I diasembled the whole bike to reassemble the CBX to a different frame. The bike did run before I diassembled it. Now thw bike is together but will not start.

It does turn over. I believe I may not be getting any spark. I put a in line spark tester and it does not light up. Also while the engine is cranking, gas pours out of the 6 lines below the carbs into the fat line. I placed a gas can under it to catch the gas. Also what is the purpose of the plastic container strapped under the battery?
Thanks
Duane

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Duane,

Double check all of your wiring connections, especially the wiring to your coils. Make sure your coil ground wire is connected.

There is a procedure in the shop manual for checking spark and the spark units but if the bike was running before dissassembly, you may have connection issues.

The gas flowing out from under the carbs would be caused by float level or needle valve issues. Is the gas pouring from more than one carb? Sometimes a stuck needle valve can be made to work by tapping on the bowl of the carb in question. If you have multiple carbs leaking, you probably need to adjust float heights.

The tank under the battery was a way to catch liquids draining from the airbox of the bike.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Duane, The thing with fault finding is to follow a systematic procedure to enable you to isolate the problem/s. Start with the easy ( simple) things first, IE Engine off switch....(Trust me, I & others have done it.... :oops: )
The big picture is fuel/air in-compression-sparkie-bang, any one of these missing phases will prevent the engine from running. For safety reasons, the fuel leaking issue is the most important to fix first....
ICOA # 656

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”