Piston Ring Compressors

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Piston Ring Compressors

Post by Passx »

Guy's,
What do you guy's do about ring compressors when putting the cylinders on ? I have several ring compressors from building automotive engines but of course they are all to big for the X and no one seems to offer one small enough, kind of gives a fella a compleX.
:D
Steve P.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Found this under the search function

viewtopic.php?t=1864&highlight=ring+compressor
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

I used the shim stock/zip tie method on my recent engine build. I would have loved to have had the regular Honda clamps.

The shim stock method worked but I can see where the clamps would have been a huge time saver and I would have used less profanity. :)

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Piston Ring Compressors

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Passx wrote:Guy's,
What do you guy's do about ring compressors when putting the cylinders on ? I have several ring compressors from building automotive engines but of course they are all to big for the X and no one seems to offer one small enough, kind of gives a fella a compleX.
:D
Steve P.

Hi Steve

Thx Terry for the research on this for us and that link

Below are two other links with photos and videos that have some ring compressor tools for you to check out.

viewtopic.php?t=2447

viewtopic.php?t=2444

See PM I just sent you on this

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

big al
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Ring Compressors

Post by big al »

Jay Wright from Bare Bones Machine came up with a brilliant way to do this. We tried just using hose clamps and ended up breaking a ring. So we got some shim stock (only about .010" if I remember right) and cut six strips just long enough to wrap around the pistons one and a half time. Spray em with WD40, and make sure you have a second set of hands. It took about an hour of very delicate maneuvering, but you can just undo the hose clamps once the rings are all the way in the cylinder.
NOTE! Make sure the little horizontal pin that locates tha cam-chain tensioner is in place before you put the cylinder on!!!! Don't ask me why I remember this.....

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

A wrap of brass shimstock, clamped with plastic cable ties does the trick for me... :wink:

PS, Excuse my manners, welcome to the site big al .... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Ring Compressors

Post by broook »

big al wrote:NOTE! Make sure the little horizontal pin that locates tha cam-chain tensioner is in place before you put the cylinder on!!!! Don't ask me why I remember this.....
I thought it was only me did stuff like that. :oops:

I used a set of "punch lok clamps" the kind pipefitters use to clamp rubber hose to pipe nipples. Cut the clamp part off and bend the two ends out to hold the rings in tight.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have a friend who has original Honda piston ring compressors that I can borrow if I need them :oops: :oops:

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

beer cans/hose clamps (don't empty out a six pack just prior to engine assembly).
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I have the original Honda ring compressors and it took me about 15 minutes to install a cylinder just last week - and you can do it by yourself! As always, an extra hand never hurts, however.

I don't know if the Honds ones are still available, but they sure are worth their weight in gold.

Dave

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

ring compressors

Post by Mike Nixon »

EMS wrote:I have a friend who has original Honda piston ring compressors that I can borrow if I need them :oops: :oops:
The original should still be available, if costly. If not, Yamaha uses the same kind.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

daves79x wrote:I don't know if the Honds ones are still available, but they sure are worth their weight in gold.
Then I must have a gold mine in my toolbox...I collected most of the ones available, including the CBX size, back when I was using them for a living.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

As I prepare to install my new pistons, I frantically scan the forums for piston install best practices lessons learned, I am exceedingly envious of Mike's picture...

I will attempt using the beverage can, plastic tie method.

/r
Brad

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Brad:
If you are coming to the Luray rally this weekend, I'll bring my official Honda CBX ring compressors for you to take home and use. Let me know.

Dave

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”