Stainless Fine-Thread Bolts, Screws, Nuts WANTED...

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Stainless Fine-Thread Bolts, Screws, Nuts WANTED...

Post by BayArchitect »

Does anyone know a source for fine-thread metric bolts, screws, and nuts? It's been a while since I posted this question, and I never found a supplier. They are not sold by McMaster-Carr, nor South Coast Stainless, nor Mr. Metric (my usual sources for hardware). I can turn one or two pieces, but when it's several parts, I'd rather spend the money. Cost is no object. No source is too remote. Canada? Europe? Japan? Any help much appreciated.
Leon

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Tell me what sizes and quantities you need, Leon. I am going to Germany again February 28 thru March 12 and will pick up what you want.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Stainless Fine-Thread Bolts, Screws, Nuts WANTED...

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

BayArchitect wrote:Does anyone know a source for fine-thread metric bolts, screws, and nuts? It's been a while since I posted this question, and I never found a supplier. They are not sold by McMaster-Carr, nor South Coast Stainless, nor Mr. Metric (my usual sources for hardware). I can turn one or two pieces, but when it's several parts, I'd rather spend the money. Cost is no object. No source is too remote. Canada? Europe? Japan? Any help much appreciated.
Leon
At CBXman winter rally I saw some handsome shop based heavy duty plastic containers ....I estimate one for each of the following areas: nuts, washers, bolts, screws.......about 8 in all ....and each container had 16 or so smaller bins in it with different sizes

You can call Dennis at CBXman for the source of these and he might take some photos for you and give you the source to buy them. http://www.cbxman.com/
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

415ZR1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 415ZR1 »

Last edited by 415ZR1 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

No fine-thread metric hardware at MD Metric either...

Post by BayArchitect »

Tried already--Maryland Metric doesn't carry fine-thread metric hardware either.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Leon, If you could give me the sizes/bolt specs etc. I could do some research for you over here.....
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Back in February, I went to three speciality stores and none had the specific sizes Leon wanted. It seems they are non-standard metric sizes and are not available as general merchandise, maybe not at all.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

EMS wrote:Back in February, I went to three speciality stores and none had the specific sizes Leon wanted. It seems they are non-standard metric sizes and are not available as general merchandise, maybe not at all.
Thanks Mike, I "may" be able to find a custom maker but I'm sure they will be expensive.
ICOA # 656

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

That's what the lathe is for...

Post by BayArchitect »

Yes, several good people tried to help already. It's like trying to find aerosol epoxy paint in any color except white or almond. Demographics says it won't sell, so it isn't sold. I guess being at the end of a bell curve isn't so bad--at least it's not steep--or crowded. Anyway, I have a nice Emco Super 11 that cut's what I need, so this problem has been solved the expensive way--with lot's of my time. The bolts I wanted, by the way, were the stock engine frame bolts for the CBX, and the brake reservior cap bolts--but in stainless. Thanks for all your thoughts!

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I love America, all you need is money & it shall be yours..... 8)

http://www.americanfastener.com/customize.htm
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Stainless steel bolts are nice for cosmetic and maintenance reasons. However, they suffer from drawbacks when it comes to provide reliable connections - something fasteners are supposed to do. That's probably why the selection may be limited. I don't know. Just a thought. :?:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Good point Mike..... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I've been the stainless route, and it's a bumpy road. I have nearly any bolt you might need, including the engine mounts, both front and top.
BUT.....the frame mount bolts, the ones that also carry the oil cooler, are cut from longer bolts to get the proper thread pitch. Cut threads are not as strong as rolled threads, so I quit offering the kit. I'm running these bolts on my own bike, but I don't sell them any longer. This after spending quite a bit of money to have them special made, and with a high scrap rate. :-(
I have the master cylinder screws in stainless button heads. They look nice.
In fact, I have complete sets of stainless allen heads to dress up our bikes. Little things like the crank and cam end caps and tach drive. That kit, in chrome, used to be $27 from TIMS, and I was selling it for $6 in stainless allen head. Of course costs have gone up since then, but if there's interest. I still have a lot of stock.
Little things like replacing all the clamp screws on the handlebar switches, chainguard screws, license plate, Honda tank emblem, the acorn nuts holding the seat on the early models, etc,......all make a difference. Replacing all the carb screws and manifold clamp screws looks nice too, but is a lot of work.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”