High Idle when warm

acadia81
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

High Idle when warm

Post by acadia81 »

Hi, I have an 81 CBX, the idle will not drop below 2000 rpm after riding for 10-15 miles. I have replaced the throttle and choke cables and everything is lubed. Should I be looking for a vacuum leak? Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

A common source of this problem is a choke cable that is out of adjustment (happend to me).

If your bike was running OK before the cable swap, its even more likely that your choke is not properly mounted in its bracket. When this happens, you think your choke is "off" but is still slightly "on". This will give you the high idle after warm up.

Make sure your cable housing is in its proper position. You can check this by looking at your choke linkage. When your choke is off, the linkage should allow the choke butterflies to rest in their fully open position. You can lossen the mounting screw on the carbs to adjust as needed.

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

High Idle

Post by Dave Ditner »

If it's the choke cable, it will probably come off the cable guide when the lever is moved from the choke ON position to the choke OFF position. IF it does this, return the choke to the ON position, wrap your finger around the cable guide, and holding it there move the lever to the OFF position. If this fixes the problem, relube the cable.

IF not you'll probably have to resync the carbs. Have you tried that previously?
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”