Oversized Cam joints

LamarX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Oversized Cam joints

Post by LamarX »

Does anybody have a source for where to buy the oversize Cam joints, use to be available from someone in the US, originally came from across the pond, also looking for some exhaust cams for an 82 engine.

Thanks,

Marc Lamarche

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Don't know about the joints but you could try www.usedcbxparts.com for the cams.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

For "oversized" Oldhams couplers, I would try David Silver ( www.davidsilverspares.co.uk ) in the UK. He may be able to steer you in the right direction. Failing that, LOUIS (see address given by Chris) may be able to help.....

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

cams and joints

Post by Louis »

If you need the joints or the cams I have plenty of both. Email me at www.usedcbxparts.com Thanks Louis

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I believe the "oversize" oldham couplers were exactly that, oversized, and NOT a genuine Honda part. I don't mean to imply that they were in any way inferior to original, but they are not what you'll find in a stock, original motor.

These oversized couplers were just a bit thicker than the stockers, and thus took up the "slack' that allows the stock cams/couplers to move and make a bit of top end noise. If memory serves me, they were produced by a member from France. I know Dave McMunn put in at least one set.

Good luck.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Not that I want to argue, but I believe Ian Billingham from the U.K. was the guy who mainly distributed them in the U.S. They originated in Denmark (again so I believe).

Ian may still be able to get them or have them.

Personally, I don't like them the way they are. In order to install them, they recommend to put them in the freezer over night to shrink them and then put them between the cam halves.

An Oldham joint, by design, is supposed to compensate for radial offset by sliding between rotating parts. These oversize joints will not slide anymore and therefore may create a significant radial load on the cams that may harm the cam supports. Stefan Jung has recommended to carefully hand-grind the sides of the oversize joints until the fit snugly into the cams and still slide freely.

LamarX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by LamarX »

Thanks for all who replied, I sent an email to Ian yesterday and got a reply that they were not re-producing any longer, he susgested I try the German Club and that Holland was in the making of some but not for awhile.

I have installed them in previous engines and without any problems, although I am thinking in the same lines as EMS for the slide motion and not to created additional trust on the journals or towers.

But in all they do make the top end quieter, original specs 6.00mm and the oversize are 6.02mm easy enough to install with a hard mallet.

Thanks for all the input.

Marc

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

Marc, I have the oversize ones that you are looking for if you still need them. These a new. Also have used stock ones. Louis www.usedcbxparts.com

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Okay, so Ian was the fellow bringing the oversized couplers into the US. I seem to remember that now. Man, it sucks getting old.........Coulda swore it was someone from France. :-)
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”