"Locked up" CBX

dntd1989
New Member & Happy To Be Here

"Locked up" CBX

Post by dntd1989 »

I just got my dad's CBX out of the shed to fix up and possibly sell,or maybe keep and ride, am not sure yet. Aside from lots of rusted

chrome, bad pipes, ect., my main problem is that the engine has locked up. The #4 plug had rust on it. I'm guessing the valve was open when it was shut off last, leading to a rusty spark plug. I removed all the plugs and sprayed penetrating spray into each cylinder. I was told that would help. Removed right side "HONDA"cover and tried to turn it over by hand, to no avail. It's now just sitting,letting the penetrating oil soak.MyQuestion is does anybody have any tips or ideas on how to"free up" this bike with out opening it up? It only has 3100 miles on it!!!!Any help would be appreciated!!

I WANT TO RIDE IT!!! thanks!! (It sat in the shed for 2 or 3 years!)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Drain the oil, pull all the plugs and fill the cylinders with 25cc's of auto transmission fliud, let it sit a couple days, put in 4th gear and rock the bike ever so little to unsize the pistons, repeat until free.

If you get carried away you'll break a piston ring, so take it easy.

dntd1989

RE:" locked up"

Post by dntd1989 »

Thanks for the info.. I will try this today...Hopefully the ATF will work better than penetrating fluid.

Land_Shark
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Land_Shark »

If there was rust accumulated on your plugs, that means that your entire intake tract, valves, piston and cylinder walls will be covered with it as well.

I had this EXACT same situation with a '79 I started restoring several years ago. I decided to go the distance, and glad I did. Moisture had leaked down past the rings and gotten down as far as the transmission!

I wouldn't be too optimistic about getting that thing turned over, let alone started, and I'm afraid that if you try you will do more damage than good.

Mine may have been in worse condition than yours is, but forewarned is forearmed, as they say :D

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”