burnt valve

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

burnt valve

Post by broook »

This is what I found when I removed the head last fall. Looks like a beaver chewed on it.

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

Valve clearance too tight or non-existent allowing hot exhaust gas to "chew on it like a beaver". When I rebuilt my '82 X I brought the head to a dealership in Edmonton and told them to go at it. I think 11 seats were replaced along with some guides and a whack of valves. For the amount of tooling required to measure, press, grind valves the head is the 1 component of an engine I would recommend having a dealer do. My '80 X was same story but didn't get quite as large a bag of parts back or as big a bill!!!!!

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

bobber wrote:Valve clearance too tight or non-existent allowing hot exhaust gas to "chew on it like a beaver". !!!!

That was my first thought. Just checked on my past maintenance records and that valve stayed at a constant .004 thou. from 1990 when I bought the bike up until last year. But i did notice that on that particular cylinder it had lower compression so it could have been leaking for a while.

Oh well. Two new exhaust valves are now in place compliments of one of our great ICOA members. Thank you. :D

pbransonii
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by pbransonii »

It wasn't in number five was it?

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

pbransonii wrote:It wasn't in number five was it?
It was the 5th exhaust valve over. #1 ex in #3 cylinder.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”