Gearbox problem

Frank
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Gearbox problem

Post by Frank »

Hi all,

I ride a '79 with 17.000 miles, and have a clunky gear change. Shifting down is ok, shifting up requires extra care on the foot lever, especially 2/3 and 3/4.

It just does not feel right, and sometimes "hangs" between gears. Shifting up in this situation causes lots of rattle.

Clutch is adjusted ok, prolink housing.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

allilump

Post by allilump »

Frank,

I have the exact same symptoms on my 79, but only on 3/4. Sometimes I'll just shift thru it and go right to 5th. I've tried some different oils with no noticeable change. Maybe stuff is just starting to wear out. :? If you come upon any solutions, let me know.

Ride safe

Steve
Have an Xellent day! Steve #5526

72 BMW R75/5 Toaster, 79 CBX

Frank

Post by Frank »

Still looking for a fix to my shifting problem without having to take the engine apart...

Today I visited my local mechanic who mentioned that the problem may be caused by a worn or damaged steel plate in the clutch. It then dawned on me that, when replacing the clutch housing by the Prolink case, the normal plates have been renewed, but not the steels.

Not sure if this could only cause a shifting problem for some specific gear changes.

Would like to ask you guru's for advice - could this be the problem, and should I look for other problems confirming the steels problem?

Any other ideas of course still very welcome!

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Shifting Problem

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

I do not think the "steel" plates will make it hard to shift in the same gear each time. If it was all the gears all the time or all the gears some of the time it might be clutch related.

I would think it was a worn shift fork or bent shift fork. Since I have never had this problem, I can not be sure, but it sounds like a lot of things I have read. There is an outside chance that it might be something in the shift ratchet mechanisim. Since you can look at that without splitting the cases, it might be worth taking a look.

Otherwise, it will require splitting the cases.

Tom

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

Guys what ever you need as far as parts i have anything you will need . I have some new gears as well as forks for the tranny. I also have some used and new 81/82 clutches if thats the problem. Email me at www.usedcbxparts.com if I can help. thanks Louis

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”