Starter clutch?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Starter clutch?

Post by Terry »

My 'neweightytwo' has probs starting. 72,000 on the bike but the motor was, at least partially rebuilt 26,000 miles earlier. I was told since it was rebuilt, it must be a tight motor and that was a contributor. The previous owner bought a new battery, solenoid etc and after I got it I put on a used starter which worked well for awhile although it still acted up occasionally. Now, during the colder months its a bear to get started, seemingly engaging and then kicking out. Sometimes its the same thing over and over but it does eventually start. BTW, it never happens when warmed up.? Spoke to my wrench about it and he figures its the starter clutch which requires a motor removal and the bottom cases split. Anyone ever do this? Sounds like a helluva lot of labor involved not to mention what the parts may cost. That will teach me to ride old bikes eh?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

LamarX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by LamarX »

Been there a few times for the starter clutch, yes it's a lot of work but not the end of the world. You might want to consider changing the brand of oil, it has been known for the starter clutch slip due to that.

Worth a try, it did solve it for others.

Marc

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

My '82 does the same thing. Changed the oil and it seems to have helped. Only over-runs now when cold out and have to crank for awhile. Next spring, once get bike out of storage, I'm going to pull the starter and clean the starter (SPRAG) clutch. I'm thinking the races and sprags are accessable, with patience, thru the starter pinion bore. Vast majority of sprags I've seen fail in any application has been due to residue build up, not allowing the sprags to lock in place. Worth a try !

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fasterspider »

Honda still sells the new springs for the starter clutch and they are dirt cheap. The caps are not dirt cheap. But they are well worth it once done and you hit the button and your bike fires off easier than it did.

8 times out of 10 it is a collapsed springs that cause the problem you are describing on the bikes that come across my lift at work.

Make sure you have "Loctite" or an equivelent thread locking agent for the three starter clucth bolts inside.
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

cbxdragbike
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxdragbike »

There have been some comments about oil, what did you change from and to to overcome this starter clutch problem

Thanks

Mark

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”