67%

Total votes: 3

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oil Tensioner Seals

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

X'ers,

I'm getting several bids on having some oil tensioner seals made. I should get the estimate back in a few days. There appears to be two ways to make them, injection molding or cut them on a lathe. Injecting molding is cheaper per piece, but you have to buy the mold.

I'm going to set up a poll just to see if there is any interest

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

Being the dumbass that I am, where are the 'oil tensioner seals' located?

Do you have a Parts Catalog location? What was the original price Honda charged? Have you looked at 'Service Honda'; even though the part is disco'd, they may show a price that could be used as a comparison. Are these seals VITAL to the engine? Seems like having the mold (no matter the cost) could provide seals forever at a decent price. Were there any estimates on the cost of the mold? If the mold was purchased, what would a run of, say, 200 seals cost - with the breakdown of each seal price? I could see the club purchasing the mold and paying for it out of all future sales (cost + small markup). This would be the kind of club effort that would keep the bikes running.

A lot of questions, I know, but they just popped into my head when I read your post.

Very good, idea, Tom!!! :P

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tensioner Seals

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

Jim-Jim,

Good questions!!! Yes, I have tried for about a year to find some (I have 8 new ones stockpiled). They list from Ron Ayers like this....

Part Number: 23170-422-305

Description: RUBBER, SEAL

Price: $11.08

Yes, these seals are vital to the engine. I think most people will be surprised at the price. Of course, most people will not be splitting their cases and rebuilding the oil tensioner. I agree, the mold seems to be the way to go but, based on my poll, it doesn't seem that anybody wants to get any of these made, whatever the cost. I will have the quotes soon and will post the info. If no interest, I will just have a few made on a lathe and build up my stock.

The seals are located on the E-15 fiche, Primary Shaft.

There is also a European member trying to mold some of these, so I think there will be an alternative source available in the future.

Cheers, Tom

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

Tom,

Who's Ron Ayers?

I looked in both 79-80 & 81-82 Parts Catalogs and they show P/N 23178 as the primary number (?)

In the 79 Cat, it's Ref #19 - in the '82 Cat, it's Ref #16.

Is this the part you're referring to? It's the only one that says 'Rubber, Seal'.

Are these seals unavailable from Honda?

Is it the high cost that you're trying to avoid?

Maybe no one is responding since most don't get that far into the engine (?)

I'm not there (yet) but hope to be in the near future - keep me in mind if you need help financing a mold.

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

Ron Ayers is a discount Honda dealer. They have very good prices. When I enter your number, it supercedes to my number. When you start buying Honda parts you will quickly find that about half of the parts have been superceded. They have not been available from Honda for over a year now.

I get very few answers to my questions. It may be like you say, not many people have the expertise for total engine disassembly/rebuilding.

They gave me some numbers today. They said they changed their mind and the seal cannot be machined. The mold is $600 and the first run of seals are $7.50 each, must by 150.

For now it's out of my range.

Cheers, Tom

CBXDaveSwanson
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Seals

Post by CBXDaveSwanson »

I'm very interested in the seals. I'm putting my old "hole in one" together after many years of collecting parts (crank, etc.) and am short 1 of the seals. I've torn the place apart looking for it. And of course Honda is out (called Waynesville). I am homebrewing what I hope will be a satisfactory alternative, but if it fails I will be up sh*ts creek. Anyone know where I can source 1 pc? Thanks
Dave Swanson

ICOA 5204

79X, 80X

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”