Benelli 750 SEI hard to shift gears?

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Benelli 750 SEI hard to shift gears?

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

Benelli 750 SEI
I used to have a Benelli 750 SEI twenty years ago, and it got harder and harder to shift gears, so I sold it to a Honda dealer at the going price back then, they told me later I had put the spring on the wrong side of the oil filter, on the bolt.
Is it possible that caused the poor shifting? probably, who knows?
There was also a ton of other problems because the bike sat for years in someones basement. I'm happy to have owned one, anyway, can't keep them all.
-Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Benelli 750 SEI hard to shift gears?

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I'd stay away from that dealer!!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Yeah, in hindsight, I gifted them big time.
-Scott

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

Nice bike, how was it to ride compared to the CBX?

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

(That is not the actual bike, mine had the black stock shocks, all the pictures of my SEI are all still on film, but otherwise that's it.)
So, to begin with, it was about 100lbs lighter. I never worried about dropping it.
It had 3 carbs instead of 6 with only 1 inch diameter intakes, limiting it to about 68 hp.
The intake sound was amazing. (like a Lamborghini) The six pipe exhaust was made with thick metal, scratch free, and was solid.
My clutch slipped a little bit under hard acceleration. (Honda CB500F's have the same problem)
The front Brembo brakes were noticably better than the CBX, a bit grabby, and the discs would rust. (not a big deal)
The upright seating position was a bit draggy at above highway speed.
The motor sometimes seemed like it was an electric.
I had to rebuild the master cylinder, and the plastic tach window, that was cracked but a shop made me a new one.
The neck of the gas filler leaked, so I coated the tank. The rubber carb-to-intake sleeves were cracking, but not leaking.
The fenders and side cover were metal, not platic. It had 3 breaker points and coils, and tubed tires on the wire rim wheels
The bike was licenced by honda, but the parts were not all interchangeable with the CB500 four.
Some of the parts were Moto Guzzi, they fixed my brakes, and put Metzler tires on the bike.
My Honda dealership had no problem adjusting the valves.
A lot of Harley bikers would come over and look at the bike at Starbucks, even Trev Deeley Harley wanted to buy it for their museum.
My bike was previously owned by a guy going throgh a divorce who owned 3 A & W restaurants, who was getting rid of his stuff.
He also had a Dodge Viper for sale. He had originally imported it from Niagara falls, NY.
Overall, the CBX is a better bike.
-Scott

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”