Ignition Advancers

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ignition Advancers

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

I have a '81 School Bike engine I just put in a '80 frame. I have installed '79 cams, '79 carbs with stage 3 kit and individual air filters. It has a DG 6 into 1 exhaust with a TIMS Kerker baffle.

My question is which ignition advancer should I use? Right now I have a 422 in it. I also have a 469A available and also whatever came with the '81/'82 models.

Your thoughts please.

Regards, Tom

Post by Guest »

Greetings Tom,

Supposly the 469A advancer has a little bit more advance to it than the 79 models 422. Here is a quote from Cycle magazine,"The 469A actually advances the ignition a little sooner than the 1979 422 system; that was primarily necessary to make it compatible with the 1980 CBX's cam timing, and to a lesser extent, the 1980 carburetion. "

Here's the link to the article maybe it can help you make a desission.

http://www.cbxclub.com/davespage/cyc80-4.html

JT

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

:oops: Sorry, That was me , forgot to log in :oops:
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

cbxdragbike
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

469 advancer

Post by cbxdragbike »

Could someone send me a picture of a 469 advancer (not the 469A), I have one thats messed up and dont have another to compare it to. I need a picture with and without the cam unit on top.

thanks

msproul@jove.rutgers.edu[/code]

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

469 advancer

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Mark, you do realize most of the 469 advancers were recalled and replaced by Honda, I'm surprized you even have one.

Out of curiosity, is this a better settup for your turbo bike? because the 80 469 advancer has almost 10 degrees less overall advance.

jeff

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Tom, the 79 422 and the later 80's and all the 81 and 82 use the dual stage advancer. The main difference in the 79 422 advancer is that it finishes advancing about 1000 RPM sooner than the late 80's and the 81&82 469A advancer.

note: the 469 advancer was used in 80's motors before engine# 2001774, after that the 469A was fitted.

jeff

cbxdragbike
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ignition Advancer

Post by cbxdragbike »

Jeff

Yes I realize that they were recalled, thats probably why I only have one of them. It came in the new street race bike that I got which has its timing all messed up. I am trying to reconstruct what actually is wrong with the timming and figure out if the 469 advancer has been modified.

I have replaced the 469 with a 469A and the engine runs MUCH better.

As far as the turbo bike, I have full computer ignition on it with full computer control of advance etc.

Thanks

Mark

cbxeric
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxeric »

HI there everyone.

I have owned a 80 cbx for 15 years. I always enjoyed riding it. Now I am giving it a much deserved freshening. I just happened upon the cycle article which talks about the 469 advancer. Just today I removed the pulser unit assembly, Beneath that I discovered a 469 advancer :shock:

of course I have one of the first bikes in Canada (SCO3-2000113).

I think I am going to visit my local friendly honda dealer and see if anything can be done (maybe a trade) :lol: .

I am watching a 422 advancer on ebay, but I am curious what effect it will have due to the different cams. As far as the Carbs go, my bike has the earlier carbs installed.
Two wheels are cool.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”