Order to Torque Engine Mounting Bolts

markjenn
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Order to Torque Engine Mounting Bolts

Post by markjenn »

On some motorcycles I've worked on, they spec that the engine motor mounts be torqued in a certain order or in certain stages. I've never seen anything like this on the CBX. Notwithstanding advice, I'd probably do the back two "through" bolts first, then the four points up by the steering head. Release the jack holding the engine up last. Comments?

- Mark

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Order to Torque Engine Mounting Bolts

Post by daves79x »

No particular order, but attach all mounting plates and run the bolts in part way first, since you'll need to jack the engine up and/or down a bit to get everything to line up. On some CBXs, the mounts are really tricky to get all lined up, others go pretty easily.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Perfect timing in mentioning that getting all the mounts lined up can be tricky.
When i swapped the '81 engine into the '79 frame i made numerous attempts to line things up, left side, right side, front, back, sag. Even slightly hogged out an old mount just in case. In the end i rode it twice with one of the top, front mount bolts missing.
Toady i checked and things finally settled into place and i added the 12th bolt.

markjenn

Post by markjenn »

Thanks for comments guys. Job is done with no great difficulties. I adjusted jack to allow top/rear through bolt to go in, then had to slightly lower engine for front mounts to line up. Torqued to spec and removed jack. Everything seems happy.

- Mark

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”