Primary Chain question

divan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Primary Chain question

Post by divan »

Are the primary chains of the 81-82 models interchangeable with the early model chains? I'm not doing an engine rebuild on my 79 right now but considering it maybe next year. I've heard that the later chains were "upgraded" and are "better" but would like some experienced advice. I've checked the parts lists and the numbers for the chains are the same (23131-422-004), though the primary shaft sprockets are a bit different (81-82 mid number is MA2, which suggests a substitution over the 79 "422" sprocket number). The service manuals for 79 and 81-82 Prolink have the same length specs (194.65-194.92mm) and service limits (198.8mm). But I know these specs don't always tell the whole story. So is a swap possible? Any conflicts with the tensioner/oil damper assembly? etc.? Is there any benefit in doing it, if it were to turn out that the chain is stretched and reaching its limit?
Thanks
Dick Sullivan

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Primary Chain question

Post by EMS »

The improvement was in the primary shaft. If you are in there, change to the Prolink shaft. The earlier ones are a source of noise.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”