raising CBX ghetto style for maintenance

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

raising CBX ghetto style for maintenance

Post by 7mmBR »

Hi we touched on this in another post but digressed a bit there. I want to raise my bike at least several inches while working on clutch cover bolts, changing oil lines, etc just to get me off the floor a bit better. Planning to buy a pretty cheap front wheel chock, bolt it to a thick (1.5") particle board base I have, then 3 ton floor jack under centre stand. Not sure how teetery that will be. Thinking I could share a little weight just for stability onto very small jackstand that should fit under oil pan, protecting little fins with softwood or industrial rubber. I think I can do this safely, sound reasonable?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: raising CBX ghetto style for maintenance

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

If you are replacing the oil lines you can cut them and remove them but you will have to slightly tilt the engine to reinstall them.
I am not perfectly clear on your lifting set-up but i don't see it working with a tilted engine.

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

thanks, based on another opinion I received for my '82 I'm planning to change the right line by removing the clutch cover and left should be accessible. Left line not even leaking and not looking forward to tilting the motor before this season though hose supplier is expecting the fittings back from it!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

IMHO - there is no way to safely raise the whole bike to do any work without a bike lift. There is no solid flat platform to be had under a CBX, certainly nothing substantial to work on the bike from. I've done lots of work just like you are going to do from the safety of the floor. Changing the oil lines and fixing the clutch bolts is a pretty quick and easy job. When you're that far, though, the valves should be checked, cam chain adjustment too.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If you plan to use a front wheel chock, mount it in the middle of a 4ft board to which you have added a D-ring on each side. Put the front wheel on the board and strap the bike down with tie-downs through the D-rings. I have been using this method in trailers that do no have tie-downs. Pretty solid. Will not tip over.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Another, slightly redneck method, is to put tie points in the ceiling. Find a truss or joist and secure a point or two from which to stabilize the bike. It doesn't have to lift it, just keep it from falling over. I've even used an engine hoist and nylon straps to suspend a bike while getting new tires installed.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

Wanting a lift for years and Harbor Freight is cheap and popular but takes up lots of room in the garage finally i bit the bullet and bought Kendon lift about 8 months ago
It folds up and it’s sturdy air operated hand pump too but
couldn’t be happier highly recommended
https://www.kendonusa.com/products/fold ... cycle-lift

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That looks like a nice option Artie. When thinking about a lift and the room they take up when not in use, just remember that your bike takes up no more room in the garage than the lift and you can always park one on the lift when it's not being used for work.

Dave

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

Although the cost is higher than most this lift will support all and any large bikes very high quality and so easy to use
I like many have spent too many hours on my knees or back on the floor and it stands up in the corner when done
If you have air it goes up quickly as the hand pump method on all of these lifts seems to take forever
I also own a fold up single Kenton trailer they make fine products
The Kendon video is well done

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

I did buy and mount a front wheel chock but didn't even use it, drilled out a lower broken clutch cover bolt just by squirming around it. Oil lines arriving any day now, was just able to massage both lines out today ('82 Pro-Link); removing couple bolts provided just enough give ahead in the air filter box to tug them out (and clutch cover off) so should be able to get the new ones in same way. Gently warmed the ol' airbox with a heat gun before reefing on it. Valves and cam chain adjustment will have to wait til winter but I'll get to them

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It IS Winter! Now's the time to do the valves and cam chains, especially if you don't know the maintenance history. They really do need checked.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

As Dave mentioned, for space, just park a bike on the hoist. Works for me. That way, it takes no more total garage space than a bike itself. At less than $350, the HF unit is a good deal. it will handle 1000 lbs. Little slow with the pedal; but, a minute. Not that there aren't other fine hoists out there.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

7mmBR
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 7mmBR »

Yeah I know I should check and adjust the valves; I recall from the eighties they will burn if they're not seating. Tipping the engine kinda put me off but I can handle it, noticed some tips in here. I did shim/bucket on 750F and couple VWs over 30 years ago, nothing since. I just spoke with a Toyota mechanic who will have a peek at work; he hasn't seen any as they use a fancy catalog system to inventory their shims. I did grab the aftermarket tool.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

It's tight, but you don't need to tilt the motor to adjust the valves. Even this ham fisted farm boy can do it.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have not been able to get the valve cover off without tilting the engine on any of my CBXes. I know, people claim they can get the airbox off and remove the carbs without tilting, maybe they have a way to flex the frame tubes. :roll:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”