Performance Trivia

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Performance Trivia

Post by Larry Zimmer »

We see, often, posts related to performance improvements such as displacement, carbs,, exhaust, ignition. However, I don't recall ever seeing anything relative to cams! Typically, an OEM, such as brother honda, design cams to optimize performance with the associated displacement and performance intent. By intent, I mean mid-range centered, low end, high end/horsepower. Given that, it would suggest that the current cams in our CBXes appear to be designed to operate most efficiently with 1047 cc; and, in the upper mid-range to redline. That being said, it would seem that performance increase by increasing displacement could be significantly enhanced with cams designed for the displacement increase to realize the full advantage of more air. I'm thinking that proper cams with a 1200 (or whatever) kit and 'matcing' carbs could do another 15 hp above whatever it gets a person using stock cams.

So, my trivia question is, are there any such things? Not looking for myself. My old bones are plenty happy with 100hp. Just wondering!!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Performance Trivia

Post by EMS »

Larry: I don't think there are off-the-shelf modified carbs out there. The CBX cams, being 2-piece, are rather complex to duplicate and I am not aware of anybody having done that.
I am working on a big-bore project - 1304cc - and the cams are part of the redo. I will have the stock cams modified. Changing the lobes, not so much for lift, but for timing.
Lobes are being welded and then reground. Finding the correct profile is a tricky issue and involves flowing of the head with cams and valves in place

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

M,
Regarding carbs, I was thinking along the lines of Racing carbs or flat slide adaptations. Got to thinking about cams: lift might be restricted by piston crown to valve clearance. Modified piston crowns would have all types of unknown affects on burning rates. But, lift and duration profiles, yes. I'll be most interested to know how your profile/timing revisions work. I'm certain that a set of 'raw cut' cams for the CBX would be both a challenge and a fair bit of a financial endeavor!

We need to find someone with DEEP pockets to talk with Isky or Crane, etc. Just daydreaming, here, a bit. Do let us know how your cam project goes. Thanks.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sorry, it seems my response post had a spell correct snafu in it ans mentioned "carbs" instead of cams. i am using the base CB1100R cam profile and I will post some data when I get back home. i am on a vacation trip right now

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good. I'll look forward to the results. Just an old engineer's mind wandering, here.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

Hmmnnn, just perusing past posts .....should I say anything ? ....the CT words ? :? :D

(R&D platform)
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”