Starter slipping

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Starter slipping

Post by spencer »

EMS wrote:On a side note: Mobil 1 is a terrible oil to use in a motorcycle, unless you use their 20W40/50...
Like everyone else here, I respect your knowledge and opinions. Even though I am no longer using it, I would like to know why you say that Mobil 1 is a terrible oil to use in a motorcycle. Just a brief explanation would be helpful. Thanks,
SCH Rochester, MN

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mobile One may now indeed make a motorcycle-specific oil, don't know, but my experience with it was 30 years ago. Many many of us used it back then. We all understand now that any oil we use should be M/C rated. But that rating has absolutely nothing to do with our CBX's particularly unique starter clutch set-up. It's for the health of the rest of the engine.

Just because there appears no scientific explanation as to why some CBX's starter clutches kick out with synthetic oil, does not mean it does not happen. I don't lose any sleep over not being able to say why.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

spencer wrote: Even though I am no longer using it, I would like to know why you say that Mobil 1 is a terrible oil to use in a motorcycle. Just a brief explanation would be helpful. Thanks,
Again, it depends on WHAT oil and WHAT motorcycle. This is why we have these dreaded "oil threads". Everything is lumped together and everybody knows something about something.

If you use Mobil1 Automotive spec, the lack of ZDDP, a zinc additive will be bad for the "flat tappets" (shim/cam pairing) in the CBX. Unless you use the 20W40 or 50, which was exempt from the rules.
The Mobil1 4T motorcycle oil is originally formulated for the demands in the highly popular HD V-twin engines, which have roller bearings on the crank and are engine only, no transmission or clutch lubrication.
As brief as I can make it.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

For anyone having concerns about the ZDDP content of the oil they are using, either buy an oil that still has enough zinc in it for flat tappet/cam applications or use one of the many ZDDP additives that are widely available.

Just an example,
Today's readily available motor oil is formulated specifically for new cars and their rocker arms. An additive, ZDDP, has been reduced over the years to a level now where using modern oil in a flat tappet equipped engine can cause excessive wear on your camshaft. ZDDPlus Restores ZDDP (ZINC) to the optimum level, which existed when your classic car was designed. Adding a 4 oz. bottle each time you change your oil will significantly reduce camshaft wear. It's compatible with all the new formula, high quality oil, so add ZDDPlus to your oil routine and give your engine the protection it deserves. Use one 4 oz. bottle per oil change.
IMG_0816.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I used an oil additive for a while. Not in a bike, but in a pretty new engine. It was supposed to be a "friction modifier", making the oil slipperier, so increasing hp. The maker is a big lubricant firm in Houston, and they had lots of "data" and testimonials to back their claims. Long story short, my oil pressure was erratic, and before long my lifters started ticking. Changed the oil to straight oil and the pressure stabilized, but the tick remained. Added Slick50 and the tick went away for exactly 50,000 miles.

So, now I buy the best oil I can get, and add nothing.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

I use Honda GN4 10w40 oil for 2 reasons.
It's a Honda CBX so I'm going to put Honda oil in it.
The second reason is I have a 1972 cb750 that I put a Ferracci camshaft in back in 1973. I've been using Honda GN4 10w40 oil in it and have 47 years of riding on the motor and Ferracci camshaft with no problems.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I have been around long enough to have read several "oil threads" so I understand that they are annoying. In the interest of not prolonging this one, this will be my last post about it.

First, I was not talking about using automotive Mobil 1 in your CBX. I think most everyone knows that is a bad idea. Yes, Mobil 1 does make motorcycle specific oils. I think some ideas about Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are in error. Mobil 1 Racing 4T was not formulated for HD-V twin engines. That would be Mobil 1 V-Twin, which is formulated for HD-V twin engines.

I suppose I could quote specifications, but I won't. It you are interested in Mobil 1 motorcycle oils, here are links to the information pages for the two types of Mobil 1 motorcycle oils:

Mobil 1 Racing™ 4T Motorcycle Oil
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobi ... rcycle-oil

Mobil 1™ V-Twin motorcycle oil
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobi ... rcycle-oil

Also,, there is a document which has some specifications for all Mobil 1 Oils. Motorcycle oils are on page 5.
https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pv ... -guide.pdf

And, I am still not using or endorsing Mobil 1

Thanks for bearing with me
Last edited by spencer on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCH Rochester, MN

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

This would be a subject best bantered about whilst sitting by a campfire w/ Guinness in hand. :lol:

Foggy memory aside, I seem to remember that various criteria determined which oils were for what engines. The V-Twin oils were also for any bike NOT sharing it's engine oil with the tranny or clutch (BMW, Moto Guzzi, etc). And the ZDDP was primarily an additive which kept the tranny gears happy, as it cushioned the shear loads of engaging teeth. Not to say it doesn't help with flat tappets as well. I seem to remember a lengthy, and well written article by Kevin Cameron about all this...........I wonder if he likes Guinness?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”