Valve lash adjustment. Low compression

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Valve lash adjustment. Low compression

Post by hondaman160mph »

It's not that I think all Harley mechanics are nincompoops. I've taken my Harley to a Harley dealership mechanic. It's more a matter of principal.
For example , I wouldn't take a Ferrari to a John Deere dealership mechanic. :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by hondaman160mph on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

EMS wrote:Indeed the valve adjustment is not rocket science. And a shim over bucket adjustment is definitely one of the basic skill preparations every motorcycle mechanic will go through in proper training. It is part of MCI's curriculum.
Let's not put all Harley mechanics down. The fact that there are more V2 service points out there which provide jobs for these guys doesn't mean everybody who works there is a nincompoop.
It's not that I think Harley mechanics are nincompoops.
I've taken my Harley to a Harley dealership mechanic. It's
more a matter of principal.
For example, I wouldn't take a Ferrari to a John Deere dealership mechanic :laughing-rolling:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

In general, I agree, however....
As always there are several sides to this like any matter. I own Harleys and Hondas and I have met capable mechanics at service dealers for each marque. And I have met nincompoops at either places. Today you run the same risk taking your 41 year old CBX to a Honda dealership as you would taking it to a Harley dealership. The wrencher at Honda probably wasn't born when your bike was built and has never seen a Honda in-line six. And maybe, the dealer doesn't even accept your bike for service (older than 10-year rule). So, finding that good mechanic who will do well on your CBX if you cannot do it yourself, is not a matter of what sign hangs outside but what person you encounter.
I found the best service dealers are those that were pushed out of their franchise because of corporate policy or change in ownerships and remained as small independent service places. They may not be up-to-date on the latest and greatest electronic control features of a 2019 bike, but they know how to adjust the valves either shim-under or shim-above bucket.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

<<For example, I wouldn't take a Ferrari to a John Deere dealership mechanic>>

Nor would I trust a Ferrari "technician" to work on my John Deeres. As Mike pointed out, finding a "mechanic" is getting harder these days. A kid with a laptop who just changes parts won't get near my stuff.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

portalespeanut
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by portalespeanut »

Rick Pope wrote:<<For example, I wouldn't take a Ferrari to a John Deere dealership mechanic>>

Nor would I trust a Ferrari "technician" to work on my John Deeres. As Mike pointed out, finding a "mechanic" is getting harder these days. A kid with a laptop who just changes parts won't get near my stuff.
:lol: Thanks, Rick!...I was thinking the same thing. Oh, watch out for those Deere techs...they may know more than you think. :D
You begin cutting your wisdom teeth the first time you bite off more than you can chew...

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Just a general comment about compression numbers: In a 'perfect' scenario, cold would be 130 - 135; hot would be 170 + 5. That's every thing 'perfect'. And, HOT means just that: HOT! Run the bike 20 miles. Then, take your readings within about 15 minutes. If your don't burn your fingers, etc. it probably isn't hot. (Cold would be sitting overnight at about 70F/20C)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”