Cam bearing cap bolts, prone to breakage?

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Cam bearing cap bolts, prone to breakage?

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Would agree, Herdy. From all the feedback, I would stay away from Honda 'original' this time. These are grade 10.9 bolts -- heat treated things. Everything I've heard says hydrogen embrittlement. They just snap. They don't stretch -- just snap. Go with something proven performance.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Bill S
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Bill S »

herdygerdy wrote:May be a dumb question (but I am asking it with the greatest respect), but if you - and many others - have had failures with OEM bolts and yet there is a much better, tried and true solution out there (ie; genesound's bolts that are widely used with great success and no known issues) then why on Earth would you stay with the OEM bolts? Seems like you are setting yourself up for a very expensive fail down the track...
My two South Pacific pesos worth.
Here's how "on earth" we ended up going with stock bolts: After two bolts broke, (basically fractured during disassembly but were not revealed until beginning to reinstall) I did a quick search of this and another CBX forum and did not find a single other post about the problem. Likely I did not search far enough, but I assume if the problem is truly widespread I should have stumbled across some discussion of it. Second, searching the Randaaks, Mike Nixon and several other sites failed to turn up aftermarket bolts, nor does Mike give any cautions about breakage in his valve adjustment publication, again giving me the impression the problem is not widespread. So if CBX cam bearing bolts are routinely replaced with aftermarket, it seems that must go on in secret, or that most people reuse the stock bolts. Third, the owner of the bike made the choice to go with OEM. Of course I could have sourced replacements from a bolt supplier, but the bike is back together with all bolts torqued to spec and I will not be losing any sleep worrying about them. :P

-Bill

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Well...I am not sure what other CBX forum you went to, but maybe you have to be a little more picky on where to get your info...
Consider this:
The CBX DOHC head is basically a derivative of the Honda CB750F/900F head that was already designed and developed before the CBX came into the world.
Consequently, issues with the cam cap bolts are prevalent in these engines also and as there are more CB750F/900Fs than CBXes, the solution to the problems was discussed and found there before it came to the CBX community.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I think you got it right, Bill. Enjoy some great rides and a good night's sleep. Happy Thanksgiving.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”