Advancer shaft play/wobble

NorthernCBX
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Advancer shaft play/wobble

Post by NorthernCBX »

Hello all, I have a question for those who have had the clutch cover off or dealt with this maybe? I have oil seeping out from under the advancer cover so pulled it off and figured I would put a new seal in, turns out when it's running the lobe is wobbling all over the place and shut off you can wiggle the shaft quite a bit. My question is, is there a bearing/bushing in the clutch cover for this shaft or does it ride on the cover itself? If it rides just on the cover and it's wore out can you Machine it out and press in a bushing or something else? The bike is a 1982 with around 26k on it, been sitting for 18 years and I'm in the long process of getting it back going. Any help or thoughts are appreciated!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Advancer shaft play/wobble

Post by daves79x »

The advancer shaft rides right in the aluminum clutch cover. You'll have to remove the clutch cover to get a look at the bore for the shaft and see if its mangled up. They've been known to seize there and break the shaft, but I never saw one with that wobble. Are you sure it's seated correctly in the primary shaft end with the pin and o-ring in place?

Dave

NorthernCBX

Post by NorthernCBX »

Thanks for the info Dave, I haven't had the clutch cover off of it yet, I'll pull that off when I get some time and report back with the findings.
Sonny

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The shaft might be bent also. If it has that much wobble, it surely tore up the pulse units?

Dave

NorthernCBX

Post by NorthernCBX »

Maybe I should have worded that better sorry, I can wiggle it if I grab the end of the shaft like it has a loose bearing or something. When I had it running with the cover off it was kind of moving all over the place especially when revved up a bit. The pulsers look ok from what I've investigated. All the screws were completely stripped off that hold the units on, so I'm not the first one in here...

NorthernCBX

Post by NorthernCBX »

In my absence on the forum here, (been really busy this summer) i had time to pull the clutch cover off the bike. It appears someone pushed the seal in too far in the cover so it blocked the oil hole on top and being starved for oil it ground out the aluminum casing. i couldn't find any good replacements on ebay that were not ridiculous amounts of money, and have some machining equipment at my disposal so i tried to fix it myself. i machined out the cover until i got to some good material again, turned down the advancer shaft and cut a brass bushing to press in, got a new seal and put it all back together. after about a 100 mile ride the shaft ate out the brass bushing and it's wobbling all over again. Does anyone have any suggestions at this point? this bike is beating me, one thing after another. I imagine the brass was too soft for the high rpm's of the shaft so it chewed it up. Dave, you were correct that the shaft was contacting the pulser units, but other than scuffing i don't see any major damage, any help or advise is greatly appreciated.
Sonny

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Sorry for your luck there Sonny. The only cure is a replacement clutch cover, and now, advancer shaft. I don't know what you call crazy money, but I have at least a spare clutch cover that I'd sell you reasonably. Have a couple of advancer shafts also, but need to keep a good spare of those. They are not hard to find nor too expensive. The oil 'hole' you refer to is really just a slot out of the bore of the clutch cover that oil splashes into. Not sure how the seal installed incorrectly would block it.

Dave

NorthernCBX

Post by NorthernCBX »

Thanks for the offer Dave, the seal was just pushed all the way in against the back, which to me then blocked that oil valley off, because all I could see was the rubber seal in the oil valley when I pulled it apart, I could be wrong and there might have been a way for oil to get in there yet, but the shaft had aluminum smeared to the surface of it and had a slight blue hint, so that wasn't salvageable as the factory size and I would have needed a new one, and the case was ground out. Do you think them pulser units will be ok? It still ran fine. From a different post on here, I saw someone get referred to Louis Mintrone for parts, I got ahold of him and he wants 75 for a good used one or 125 for a really nice school bike cover. I thought that was actually quite reasonable. I'm not sure if anyone has had good luck with him or dealt with him before? Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to the cbx world.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Louis is the best. And, if what ever you get should just happen to not be 'right', he'll make it good. And, he's quick.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NorthernCBX

Post by NorthernCBX »

Thanks Larry, I'll get in contact with Louis and get the parts I need, and hopefully button this problem up with my bike, and onto the next one haha.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

In my experience, Louis has always been pretty fair, most times very fair. He knows these bikes and has just about anything you'd need. If it were me, I'd replace the clutch cover, advancer shaft and the pulser units. Terry Schmidt (tevan here)
also has quite a few parts he sells.

Dave

NorthernCBX

Post by NorthernCBX »

Sounds good Dave, thanks for all your advice on getting this baby back on the road, this site and all of you on here have been very helpful.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”