Clutch not disengaging

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Clutch not disengaging

Post by wyly »

This happens with my clutch as well on the first ride of the day. I just keep it on the center stand while it warms up and shift back and forth from neutral to first until it releases or I wait until it settles into a nice idle, shift into first and simultaneously increase throttle and apply the rear brake.

I asked my mechanic to have a look at it and He said the clutch was in good order.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Punctuation is your friend! :think:

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

All you have to do is start the bike and let it warm up for a few seconds. Pull in the clutch lever and "blip" the throttle a couple of times. This will free up your clutch if everything else is working correctly. Done that with all 26 of the bikes I have owned and it worked on all of them.

sixinoz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sixinoz »

Revisiting this again as I can't believe it would be doing the gearbox much good by having drag.
On centre stand with 1st engaged and clutch lever pulled to disengage I can only get the clutch to release with a fair amount of force on the rear wheel. Once free it still drags quite a bit. Tried the same when hot but still takes some effort to get the clutch to release. So it would appear that there is not enough rod travel to separate the plates to disengage fully. I have checked and rechecked my stock setup for excessive grooves on the basket etc and it is correct. I even tried dialling out all the cable slack but no change
Would a slightly longer rod cure this issue or is this just a wet clutch feature?
Maybe I'm being pedantic but it just doesn't seem right although it is an often reported issue.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”