Iridium plugs

chrispyduck
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Iridium plugs

Post by chrispyduck »

Anyone using Iridium plugs? How do they perform over standard plugs?

I used them on my ZX12r only because they were so difficult to access........always ran ok. However for something like the CBX is there a noticeable advantage?
Running standard at the moment and mine are are fouled from cold starting to warm up for the occasional run out over Winter and for the oil change. Feel like the plugs should run hotter under !

Any opinions welcome :D

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Iridium plugs

Post by daves79x »

If your climate will truly allow for decent riding in the Winter, meaning you can comfortably and regularly ride at least 40-50 miles at a time, then don't bother even starting the bike. Do the long-term storage thing and forget it until Spring. You are doing far more harm than good just starting the bike up and not allowing the engine to get hot long enough to burn out the moisture in the engine oil and especially the exhaust system. Just don't do it.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Electrode material has nothing to do with plug heat/loading, etc. Only affects plug life/electrode erosion. As Dave said, if you aren't going to ride it 50 miles, don't bother starting it. Drain the carbs, put Stabil into the tank and connect a Battery Tender.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

chrispyduck
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by chrispyduck »

Thanks all advice noted 8)

Ran the bike with tap off till it stalled then drained what was remaining in the carbs. This is the first time i have ever done this for any of my bikes as i have always used non ethanol top quality fuel with a stabiliser. I seemed to think that leaving the carbs dry would allow seals to dry out but i can't ignore advice from everywhere that i should drain the carbs on a CBX :think:

chrispyduck
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by chrispyduck »

BTW is anyone using Iridium plugs :laughing-rolling:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am one of those who is not draining the carbs. I have three CBXes and a KZ1300-6 and they are parked for over 5 months during the non-riding season.

chrispyduck
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by chrispyduck »

EMS wrote:I am one of those who is not draining the carbs. I have three CBXes and a KZ1300-6 and they are parked for over 5 months during the non-riding season.
As i have said before my approach has always been to use non ethanol fuel with a stabiliser in my bikes; never had a problem however overwhelmingly the consensus is to drain the CBX carbs which is an easy task. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Have you had any issues????

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

No issues. And I used to drain the carbs. After much research and input from others, I decided (for myself) that the risk of seals and O-rings eventually suffering from drying out was greater than gummed up carb circuits. Especially when properly prepping the fuel. I am using Startron Enzyme stabilizer.
I do drain the tanks, but just because of the place I store the bikes. I do not want a large amount of full fuel containers in there.
I also do not drain the carbs on my seasonal equipment, e.g. lawn mowers and snow blowers during the lay-up period and never had an issue with these.

chrispyduck
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by chrispyduck »

Actually i have not ever had a problem with my bikes and fuel going off following storage. The maximumum time i left a bike this Winter season was 3 months; my Z1 went undercover in my garage in October with Esso Synergy non ethanol petrol and Putoline fuel stabiliser. It started first press of the button........ I found it difficult to ignore what the good and respected technical guys on this forum were saying about importantance of draining the carbs.

Not sure what the quality of fuel is like over in other places. In the UK we have unto 10% ethanol in standard unleaded and if we pay more at the pumps we can have a premium fuel which allegedly has little or no ethanol. I wrote to both BP and Esso and got the message that the latter had no ethanol added and the former could not guarantee it had no ethanol. So if you can believe what the oil companies are saying then Esso is the best to go for.......at least in the UK.
I reckon also it plays a big part if you consistently use premium grade fuel and not just when you know the bike isn't going to be run for a while.

EMS I'd like to know the source of your research for leaving fuel in versus draining and seals O rings drying out. :clap:

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Don't you find if you don't drain the carbs the float bowls will be empty by spring due to evaporation? I have a cb450 that I did not drain the carbs and when I removed the float bowls in the spring they were bone dry. They also had some rust colored residue in the bottom.
I drain all my carbs now and use non ethanol gas and no stabilizer.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

chrispyduck wrote:BTW is anyone using Iridium plugs :laughing-rolling:
:D Haha Tried them on my Supercharged GL1500 went back to NGK i was have some Jetting issues and had a Coffee can full of fowled plugs ..NGK was cheaper :roll: , Doing better now 5 years on the NGK now still runs fine lol, I can now clean my plugs with a push of a button with NOS hahaha

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

NOS -- can't think of a 'funner' way to clean plugs, Gregg. Kool! :-)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Larry Zimmer wrote:NOS -- can't think of a 'funner' way to clean plugs, Gregg. Kool! :-)
Hahaha i really have a GAS on my GL lol , put picture of it on the wrong thread over on my 79 Drag bike resto , i have such a hard time with the smart phones fat fingers :lol:

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”