Clutch drags, Carb rebuild

Terry Seaver

Clutch drags, Carb rebuild

Post by Terry Seaver »

I just bought a 1980 CBX. The clutch does not seem to fully disengage when the lever is pulled in. The lever seems to be adjusted right. It makes it hard to change gears when not moving, and almost impossible to get into neutral with the engine running. Seems to happen cold or hot.

Is this a common problem with the CBX, any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know a good shop in the San Francisco bay area for Carb rebuilds? I have been considering CBXman in PA, but that is a long way to send the whole lot. BTW, how is CBXman for carb rebuilds?

regards,

Terry Seaver

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

Last edited by sr71cbx on Tue May 18, 2004 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beedub
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by beedub »

You have clutch drag from old oil or dirty plates, or else you probably should have a mechanically inclined friend check your clutch adjustment at the clutch, and check a manual. you can find it online at

http://www.cbxworld.com/modules.php?nam ... e=tech.htm

I have dealt with CBXman and I think that they are good and honest people and if you cannot find someone local to do the carbs (don't separate them -not needed unless someone says it is totally essential) then that would be a very good choice to send them there.

How mechanically inclined are you?
Big and small, I like them all....bikes that is...

ELee

Carbs and clutch

Post by ELee »

Terry,

I'm in Oakland, where are you?

I don't know of anyone local, but if you decide to do your own work I know just enough to get us both in trouble....

I did the same you are about too just a few years ago.

Went at it Cold but must say learned a lot and in the process met some really good people.

THANKS, MARK!

I'm a big fan of pay- back, so let me know.

Later,

Ed Lee

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”