What to expect

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

What to expect

Post by whatscooking »

Have found out why my CBX is burning oil, quart in 500-600 miles. Have it tore down to find severe cylinder pitting and scoring especially #1. Don't know yet if first over will get it cleaned out or even second over will. Are the liners able to be replaced with success? What happens to jetting with larger bores, it has stock jetting now? I will have stock pipes back on and it has stock air box.
How will the engine run after a big bore? Meaning do they run hotter, will it run smooth. I want one that I can put some miles on without blowing head gaskets and the like.

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What to expect

Post by whatscooking »

Guess I will see when I get her back,

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Do you have an idea of what caused the pitting? Seems strange to only have it in one cylinder.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just get the Cruzinimage big-bore kit. 1147 cc with stock liners. Way cheaper than 1st or 2nd over from Honda. Boring for the kit will run a bit more. It will work just fine with what you have.

Dave

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

I was told the pitting is caused by sitting and moisture, I bought the bike two years ago, I now understand the term, a pig and poke, or how ever that is said.
Number one is the worst with pitting but they all are scored.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

A pig in a poke.

Dave

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

Yes I should of looked closer and I would of seen that pig in a bag. I didn't know then then what I know now to look for. The person that I bought the bike from in Louisville Ky. must of seen me coming. I always thought I could trust my feelings about an older person to keep a straight face and not lie, they are just better at it. When buying the bike it didn't have the air box lid on or the center stand, I asked him for it and what happened to the original exhaust or any other parts, ow and by the way I paid his full price. I got the don't have anything its how I got it. Wasn't long after that he was on here selling the air box lid, Dyna coils and I found out he sold EMS the exhaust.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That's tough to take, for sure. But depending on your skills, the top end job is really not too bad. Depending on miles, but in any case you should replace the valve stem seals and at least lap the valves. There's a great guy in Cincinnati. Fairly close to you, that you might get to do the work if you are not up to it. Holler if you need contact info.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

daves79x wrote:That's tough to take, for sure. But depending on your skills, the top end job is really not too bad. Depending on miles, but in any case you should replace the valve stem seals and at least lap the valves. There's a great guy in Cincinnati. Fairly close to you, that you might get to do the work if you are not up to it. Holler if you need contact info.

Dave
Yes, Jim Zemanek is good with CBXs and a straight shooter. His email is bikes@fuse.net
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

I have the bike with Roger in Tn.. I spoke with him a few times about the high oil consumption and felt comfortable with him doing this so I took the bike to him. He had three CBX motors tore down when I got there.

LONGCLOSE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by LONGCLOSE »

daves79x wrote:Just get the Cruzinimage big-bore kit. 1147 cc with stock liners. Way cheaper than 1st or 2nd over from Honda. Boring for the kit will run a bit more. It will work just fine with what you have.

Dave
As Dave says this is just what I have done on my rebuild that is underway, great value from Cruzinimage I use him all the time for my other CB projects. Gasket sets are a steal also.

The pitting I understand happens on number 1 due to fuel washing off the residual oil and allowing moisture to pit the barrel (can cause hydraulic lock as I am sure is reported on this forum on the early Z models). If the bike is on the side stand and the fuel is regularly left on it will "weep" to number 1 and "dry" the cylinder causing wear on startup and if left standing for long period will pit, as a matter of interest is yours a Z model? My barrels were exactly the same on number 1 hence the big bore kit.

Good luck with the rebuild!

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

Yes it is a Z. I have talked with Roger, Tim's engine rebuilder, and he said that if the one cylinder is too far out he will use another liner so we can only go the first over bore job. Everything is ordered along with the new Delkevic exhaust.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”