gear selection

Redplexus
New Member & Happy To Be Here

gear selection

Post by Redplexus »

Sad story. Out for a ride, enjoying the view of the cylinder block, not going anywhere fast as my rear brake had decided to misbehave (see other thread for that), when I also discovered that I could no longer select anything above 3rd gear. Thought it might be my clunky new boots, so stopped and tried to select it by hand, with engine running and engine off. No joy. I put that down to the fact the bike wasn't moving and the gear dogs need to be actually rotating not sat in neutral before they will select properly. Tried again when the bike was moving - goes up through 1-2-3 sweetly, just won't go any higher. Should I now limit myself to 50 mph or is the cure something simple?
CBX-Z 79
MV Agusta F4-S 01
Hyperstrada
Ducati Cafe Racer
GL1800 Wing

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: gear selection

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

Was it working OK at first, and then stopped selecting 4th?

Paul.

Redplexus

Post by Redplexus »

Yep, quite odd - the gear issue only started on the same ride when the rear brake jammed up as well but I can't see how those two issues might be related. Think my plan of action needs to start with stripping the back end and fettling the brakes, then getting inside the gear linkage. Hope the solution is in there somewhere as anything involving breaking open the engine is not to be relished. Maybe when this thing is fixed we'll meet up somewhere around Berks/Hants - how about Popham or Blackbushe airfield?
CBX-Z 79
MV Agusta F4-S 01
Hyperstrada
Ducati Cafe Racer
GL1800 Wing

mlynch001
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mlynch001 »

It is possible that one of the pins in the shift drum has broken off or fell out. I saw a couple of HONDAs where the bolt that holds the detent cam to the shift drum was loose and allowed the pins to work their way out of the drum. I don't have my Manual right here, but that shift drum mechanism is pretty standard on HONDA. At least, you can access the shift linkage without a complete teardown. That is where I would be looking first. Also, make sure that your shifter pedal linkage does not have a lot of slop or free play, this can cause erratic shifting. CBX Gearbox failures were quite rare during my 20 year tenure at HONDA.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”