How to Tell if Case Halves Match

hcbx1047
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

How to Tell if Case Halves Match

Post by hcbx1047 »

I've got a few separate tops and bottoman cases and was wondering if there was a way to tell if a pair matched? Or can you use an unmatched pair and have them line bored? Or do I just have some aluminum scrap on my hands. Thx in advance!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: How to Tell if Case Halves Match

Post by daves79x »

If the cases have the original paint, each half has a date stamp on the rear. It's in black paint. But if they are stripped, or repainted, you're out of luck that way. I always mask off the rear of my case halves and preserve the marks, but most don't.

It is likely possible to match halves if you get lucky and the journal halves match codes. The only way I'd ever use them is to buy all new bearings to go with a good crank, bolt it up and plastigauge the mains. If they gauged good, you'd probably be OK. The other stuff wouldn't be that critical. But you're still taking a chance. With the still ready availability of good, matched cases, I'd probably scrap any un-matched ones.

Dave

hcbx1047
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: How to Tell if Case Halves Match

Post by hcbx1047 »

Thanks Dave. Was just in the garage and have another motor on a stand ready to install and thought that maybe I'll just put a pair of unmatched case halves together and make a static display motor. Maybe the local vintage group would like it for presentation....

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”