spark advance

MIKE DAVIS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

spark advance

Post by MIKE DAVIS »

I just checked the ignition advance and it's going to full advance of 31 deg. at about 2000 rpm. It's a dyna ignition. ever heard of this. It might be part of my overheating problem since it's not supposed to go to full advance till 6,400 rpm.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: spark advance

Post by daves79x »

It's your mechanical advancer that's the problem, not the Dyna, although I''m no fan of the Dyna. Check it's operation and that both springs are still in place. The Dyna rotor is kind of tricky to mount the springs on.

Dave

MIKE DAVIS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by MIKE DAVIS »

apparently it's a stock Honda advancer since it's stamped 422

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That's what you use along with the Dyna rotor that replaced the stock one. You need to research some pics of this stuff so you know what you have. Are both springs on the advancer rotor?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

daves79x wrote:That's what you use along with the Dyna rotor that replaced the stock one. You need to research some pics of this stuff so you know what you have. Are both springs on the advancer rotor?
Dyna's instructions do suck. This may seem obvious, but both arms of the advancer have to be extended out into the advanced position in order to get the rotor fully seated in the correct position. As I recall, if you just stick it on the shaft and insert the bolt you just pin the advancer arms to the advancer plate, possibly bending them while you're at it.

Couplea photos for reference from when I installed mine:

And that was indeed the mythical 469 advancer that Honda recalled. Now in the possession of Louis Mintrone.

Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”