con rods / imbalance

robsgreen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: con rods / imbalance

Post by robsgreen »

Hi Dave

They said they will match 1 and 2 with the others. I don't know what the Rod weight codes are because when they first reconditioned the crank and rods, they seems to have removed them as they inscribed and marked the rods 1-6. I'm presuming the weight codes are the letters on the flats each side of the big end of the con-rod. I checked for these before I sent them back and they were not there anymore.

robsgreen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by robsgreen »

Hi Dave

the crank shaft re-build company removed the markings for some reason and etched the numbers of each rod in their place. They will match rods 1 and 2 with the rest of the rods which are the same weight.

regards

martin

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The crankshaft rebuild company might know cranks in general, but I fear lack the knowledge of the intricacies of Honda rod selection. You never remove Honda's rod weight code and journal size code. It's the key to correctly selecting rods and bearings. They likely will remove material from rods 1 and 2 to compensate for incorrect code selection. Not what Honda intended. Before taking the assembly back I'd want documentation of all rods weights and big-end bearing oil clearances.

Dave

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

You are so right Dave. It is amazing that not just reading the book can lead to so much unnecessary grief.
All that needed to be done from the beginning was to replace the suspect rod with another of the same code.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Silver
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Silver »

I'm wondering how the primary shaft to crankshaft timing would cause vibration apart from the ignition timing being off. I didn't notice bob weights or anything on the shaft when I had my engine apart ?

robsgreen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by robsgreen »

Hi dave/phil

Couldn't agree more with you guys and I'm annoyed they did so. They are a well known motorcycle engineers who also build race bike engines. I will ask for the balancing info as suggested. got to wait 4 weeks now for the work to be completed. keep you posted.

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”