Discolored cam lobes?

windswept6
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: In them thar hills- somewhere between Enon, Yellow Springs,and Springfield

Discolored cam lobes?

Post by windswept6 »

So I pulled the covers off the motor this weekend, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was clean as a pin inside...BUT- there are a couple of weird things that I am unsure about:

1). The cam lobes appear to be discolored. Is this normal?

2). While the oil pan only had a thin film of carbon sludge in the bottom- the pickup screen has a variety of non-metal ( non ferrous anyway) particles that are stuck to the screen- could these just be excess gasket-maker pieces?? ( as far as I can tell, they aren't aluminum)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by windswept6 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Engine wear?

Post by tevan »

As long as they aren't metal you are fine. It is probably gasket debris and gasket sealer.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Discolored cam lobes?

Post by daves79x »

Cams look fine. Base circles are most discolored and they don't touch anything except oil. Maybe just oil stains? I wouldn't worry about it. I'd pull the screen and clean it, but be careful. Heat the rubber and pry it off, same going back on except twice as difficult. If very brittle it will break.

Dave

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”