Valve shim question....

Skyguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Valve shim question....

Post by Skyguy »

I just did a measure of all my shims and the clearance with each cam. My local Honda dealer said the part number for the shims I need are discontinued. Hmmmmmm. :o

Does anyone know a source to get some valve shims that are in the range of 2.90mm - 3.00mm ?

* I need a lot of the same size range so a "Shim kit" will not work. I need to order them by size....Anyone?

I'm shooting for 5 thou clearance.

Thanks in advance.

(*The leak down test was good.)

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Valve shim question....

Post by FalldownPhil »

PM sent. Perhaps I can help :-)
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If your local Honda dealer hasn't thrown them away, they should have lots of shims back in the shop gathering dust. No Honda dealer works on these or other DOHC Honda's from that era and they certainly don't need the shims. Many shops have discarded them, but if you find one that hasn't, you can likely come away with whatever you need, and then some, for a good price (free, if you've managed to cultivate a good relationship with your dealer over the years). Otherwise, there are lots of places you can buy them if Phil doesn't fix you up.

Dave

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

I use products from these guys here in Australia. Great service, sensible pricing and even better for you guys with the weak AU$ exchange rate against the greenback at the moment...

You need the 25 mm flat shims, and available in any size from 1.40 all the way to 4.50, in increments of 0.02 mm and you can pick and choose your individual shim sizes.

http://www.precisionshims.com.au/products/flat

Cheers...Tony

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

daves79x wrote:If your local Honda dealer hasn't thrown them away, they should have lots of shims back in the shop gathering dust. No Honda dealer works on these or other DOHC Honda's from that era and they certainly don't need the shims. Many shops have discarded them, but if you find one that hasn't, you can likely come away with whatever you need, and then some, for a good price (free, if you've managed to cultivate a good relationship with your dealer over the years).
I tried that with my local Honda shop. The service guy is part owner, and has been around a long time. I thought I tried to cultivate a good relationship with him, but when I inquired about buying all his shims, or a bunch of them, for a reasonable price, he said no. He sells them to me, and probably no one else, for as much as he can get.
SCH Rochester, MN

MIKE DAVIS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by MIKE DAVIS »

toyota v-6 engines from 1989 to 1995, the 3.0 liter model , takes the same shims.

Mutton
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Mutton »

I guess I should start a new post but the topic is relevant. I know of a CB900F complete engine, but it's been scrapped as the carbs have more white "rust" than carb. My question is "are the shims the same size on this bike as the CBX?" Hope so, as that will make the fitting of the new inlet cam much easier.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

They are the same 25mm diameter as are the CBX and all the "F" bikes. 750. 900. 1100.
and many others.
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

MIKE DAVIS wrote:toyota v-6 engines from 1989 to 1995, the 3.0 liter model , takes the same shims.
Thanks, Mike. Might help some folks greatly.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”