clutch, stalling

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

clutch, stalling

Post by wyly »

On the first ride of the day regardless how long I warm up the engine when I shift into 1st the bike lurches forward and stalls even with the clutch fully pulled in. With the clutch still pulled in I can start it immediately and then it's good to go and for the rest of the day and the problem doesn't repeat. :?

It seems to be a simple problem is there a simple solution. Am I not warming the engine enough?
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: clutch, stalling

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Sounds like the plates might be sticking.
Even though it is "first ride of the day" had the bike been sitting for a couple weeks.?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Sounds like the plates might be sticking.
Even though it is "first ride of the day" had the bike been sitting for a couple weeks.?
first ride since December actually, but it did the same last September when I was riding everyday.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

How much free play do you have at the lever, what oil do you use and where is the idle speed set?

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Imagine you have a flat part, put a drop of oil on it, and place another flat part on it. Now press the two together, and try to pull them apart. Same thing is happening with your clutch. Before starting, put the bike in gear, pull in the clutch and roll the bike back and forth a bit. Doesn't take much to un-stick the plates.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Yes, clutch plates maybe sticking and also could be clutch adjustment, on the center nut and cable as well
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Another 'kind' way to sort this out is to put the bike on the main stand, start it up and put it in gear. Pull the clutch in and the rear wheel will still be spinning. Then gently and progressively stand on the rear brake while having some throttle on. It will then break loose with no shock into the transmission.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Rick Pope wrote:Imagine you have a flat part, put a drop of oil on it, and place another flat part on it. Now press the two together, and try to pull them apart. Same thing is happening with your clutch. Before starting, put the bike in gear, pull in the clutch and roll the bike back and forth a bit. Doesn't take much to un-stick the plates.
I always start the x in the garage and roll it out into the drive, about 20-25ft.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

cross wrote:Yes, clutch plates maybe sticking and also could be clutch adjustment, on the center nut and cable as well
checked cable right where it should be, I'll have a look at the center nut next.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

whatscooking wrote:How much free play do you have at the lever, what oil do you use and where is the idle speed set?
free play at lever is within specs
oil-castrol 10-40
idle 1-1.2k

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

herdygerdy wrote:Another 'kind' way to sort this out is to put the bike on the main stand, start it up and put it in gear. Pull the clutch in and the rear wheel will still be spinning. Then gently and progressively stand on the rear brake while having some throttle on. It will then break loose with no shock into the transmission.
I'll try that tomorrow.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I would adjust it at that center nut anyway. If that doesn't work, try by giving your cable more slack.
If none of that maybe it is really stuck. I've heard of that happening but after sitting for very long time. My bike sat this winter almost two months without start and clutch plates did not get stuck.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Many of these clutches stick after sitting a while, but usually not just overnight. Adjust per the manual, as has been mentioned. I replaced my '79's clutch a few years ago with 100% stock Honda components and it sticks after sitting (a year or so!) also. No big deal really, just make sure your bike is pointed the right way if it doesn't break loose and you miss the brake for some reason.

Dave

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Mine does the same thing Wyly.
CLUNK, lurch, stall, (sigh) re-start, good to go.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

My 80 did this. Now while the bike is warming up I pull in on the clutch lever and release it a couple of times prior to putting it in gear. It seems to help. No more stalling. I do this while applying the front brake though, just in case!

Greg

Return to “ENGINES: Maintenance, Performance, Parts Sources”