What is required for swingarm swap?

81cbxturbo
New Member & Happy To Be Here

What is required for swingarm swap?

Post by 81cbxturbo »

I have a 81 cbx and want to know what needs to be done to put a gsxr swingarm on this thing? Also if you know what's required to swap the triple trees also that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What is required for swingarm swap?

Post by NobleHops »

81cbxturbo wrote:I have a 81 cbx and want to know what needs to be done to put a gsxr swingarm on this thing? Also if you know what's required to swap the triple trees also that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
Do a few searches for starters, and I bet you get a good primer while you wait for replies. There is also a search engine that casts a pretty wide net in CBXLand here:

http://www.cbxclub.com/search

Try that "Mondo" search and you may be pleasantly surprised by what it turns up.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

81cbxturbo

Post by 81cbxturbo »

I did and couldn't really find any explanations tho. I'll try that in a search.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You are not likely to find detailed info on the exact swap you want to make. Too many custom combos out there. Anything can be made to work if you're handy and persevere. Jim Zimanek in Cincy, OH has done a lot of them, mostly using VFR single-sided arms and forks. Good luck.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

You should be able to find some answers in the "Project Thread" section.
Some very detailed custom bike threads. viewforum.php?f=102

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

What year GSXR swing arm do you want to use. Don't think there is a distinct advantage by changing the swing arm. The Prolink swinger is pretty decent. Changing the shock may be the most effective thing to do.

81cbxturbo

Post by 81cbxturbo »

I have arms for 89 and up gsxr's since all my dragbikes are suzukis. I can make it work for sure I was just lookin to see if someone who's done it already would chime in and say u need this stuff to do it. But no biggie I'll make the thread on mine for a step by step for any others in the future. I want a extended arm since it will be turbo'd and will make 200+ hp and for the look of it also lol. From what I see so far it really shouldn't be very hard. But when I'm done I will post pics and info.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

This ought to be a fun project to follow!
Nils Menten

81cbxturbo

Post by 81cbxturbo »

I'm hoping so. So far the swingarm stuff is looking on the up and up. I have to make a couple spacers and retap the swingarm bolt hole but that looks like that's about it. I'll report back with pics if so.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

81cbxturbo wrote:I'm hoping so. So far the swingarm stuff is looking on the up and up. I have to make a couple spacers and retap the swingarm bolt hole but that looks like that's about it. I'll report back with pics if so.

Cool, please do. And post photos please!
Nils Menten

81cbxturbo

Post by 81cbxturbo »

Ok so the gsxr 1100 triple tree is a easy swap. Get some 89-92 gsxr 1100 trees then press the stem out. Take the stem out of your cbx trees and press it rite into the 1100 trees. Take the top 1100 tree plate and drill the stem bolt hole out to 1" then just assembly on the bike. It's That easy. Took me about 20 minutes. Now your set up for any50mm gsxr/hayabusa fork tubes u wanna use. The swing arm so far is proving to be just as easy. As it sits it takes 2 big drill bits and a big ass tap. I'll post back once it's mounted. I'll get some pics up ASAP. I own a automotive & performance shop so I have a lot of stuff here that the average guy don't have at home but the drill bits are cheap,the tap wasn't too bad,and if u don't have a press u can have a machine shop knock the stem out for u I'm sure for next to nothin. Or anyone with a press.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

81cbxturbo wrote:Ok so the gsxr 1100 triple tree is a easy swap. Get some 89-92 gsxr 1100 trees then press the stem out. Take the stem out of your cbx trees and press it rite into the 1100 trees. Take the top 1100 tree plate and drill the stem bolt hole out to 1" then just assembly on the bike. It's That easy. Took me about 20 minutes. Now your set up for any50mm gsxr/hayabusa fork tubes u wanna use. The swing arm so far is proving to be just as easy. As it sits it takes 2 big drill bits and a big ass tap. I'll post back once it's mounted. I'll get some pics up ASAP. I own a automotive & performance shop so I have a lot of stuff here that the average guy don't have at home but the drill bits are cheap,the tap wasn't too bad,and if u don't have a press u can have a machine shop knock the stem out for u I'm sure for next to nothin. Or anyone with a press.
That is great stuff but you need to be mindful of the fork length overall. If you put a modern front end on it of typical length, you're going to get into clearance issues and possibly headshake. Not trying to be a downer, but it is something to factor. I have it in my mind that guys have used Multistrada forks for this reason. Just a thought.

Keep going man, and post some pic, willya?! :-)
Nils Menten

81cbxturbo

Post by 81cbxturbo »

The height of mine is shorter for sure since all my forks are internally lowered for drag racing. And I am using a hayabusa steering damper also.

81cbxturbo

Post by 81cbxturbo »

Clearance wise there's plenty of room. These have a pretty good rake to em. I'm also running Marvic magnesium wheels and the front one is a 16" wheel so I have a ton of room for my turbo too.

81cbxturbo

Post by 81cbxturbo »

I'll get some pics up shortly. I want to get my forks that I'm using in the trees for the pics and get the swingarm bolted up too.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”