Alternative mono shock for an 82?

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Alternative mono shock for an 82?

Post by swarrans »

It looks like my Prolink rear shock won't hold air pressure so I'm considering what to do. From the posts I've seen i don't think I will even try to replace the seal so its either replacing it with something like the Hagon one (I'm in the UK so the Progressive one recommended hereisnt an option) or another secondhand Honda one.
I'm sure I read that someone used a cbr600 shock but I can't find the thread - did I imagine it? If one can be used they seem very cheap but would the spring rate/length bushings be right (seems highly unlikely somehow!)

Thanks to the "brain trust" in advance!

Simon

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Alternative mono shock for an 82?

Post by EMS »

Simon:

Wilbers makes a replacement rear shock for the 81/82 CBX. They are on ebay.de all the time

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wilbers-Stosdamp ... 4ae4024a2c

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wilbers-Federbei ... 3f3a8696ce

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by swarrans »

Yes thanks for that but I was hoping there might be a significantly cheaper option - 2nd hand cbr600 shocks with remote reservoirs seem to sell for about £40 on eBay in the UK. I'm sure there was a comment about it recently either here or cbxworld unless Iam going mad!
Hagon have a good rep in the UK and they are about £300

Simon

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

CBR 600 shocks worked on the little 400CC CB-1 - that's what you may be confusing with the CBX CB-1 ('79 model). I know of no bike you can use a rear shock from for the Pro-Link CBX. I can tell you spending money on a decent rear shock will be the best money you'll spend on your CBX.

Dave

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by swarrans »

OK Dave, thanks you have confirmed that I am going mad!

I guess I will probably go for the Hagon shock as it is the cheapest and much easier to get here in the UK than the Progressive.

On a positive note, I am really surprised at how well I think my CBX handles - TBH I thought it would be pretty awful but even with a duff shock it seems to go round corners really nicely (and I have a Fireblade so I'm not completely clueless about handling!). The shock absorption isn't so great - but then I guess it wouldn't be with a shock absorber that can't hold air...

FYI this is the Hagon shock I will probably get http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/p ... tno=M61089

And then there are the brakes......

Cheers

Simon

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I don't think you'll regret the new shock. Lots of other issues that prevent proper handling on the Pro-Link also. Make sure you clean and re-lube all the dog-bone links to the shock. Steering bearings are often overlooked and if your bike has more than 20,000 miles, they need replaced. New tires do wonders as well. Good luck!

Dave

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by swarrans »

Thanks Dave.
Having read up some online reviews I think I am more leaning towards the Wilbers Ecoline rather than Hagon which are about the same price

http://wilberssuspension.co.uk/ecoline.php

I've got brand new Bridgestone Battleax tyres and the bike has only done 4,000 miles (I realise that might be suspect if the std shock has failed...) but as I say the basic handling seems great and I am more than happy with it other than the thump I'm getting when I go over poor surfaces and the red warning light light constantly being on!

Simon

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”