79 vs 80 frame

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

79 vs 80 frame

Post by Mello »

Can anyone point out the differences, if any, between the 1979 and 1980 frames?

The 80 I have has been modified to take what I think is a later Suzuki swingarm. The rear of the frame has been hacked off and then modified to take the mono shock. I have a spare, untitled 79 frame and was thinking of cutting and rewelding the 80 head tube to the 79 frame. At this stage it's an option to return it to a more original form but I am missing a few parts for this.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 vs 80 frame

Post by tevan »

I beleive the only dif. Is one year has one of the motor mount holes at the footrest is bigger. There will be somebody else that knows more then me to come along.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Yes, the hole for the swingarm axle is larger in the 1980 frame, 16mm vs 14mm in the 79. Also, the steering neck maybe different as the stem and the neck bearings are not the same, but I am not sure about this.
At one time, somebody claimed the 80 frame had a different gusseting, but I could not see where.

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

Thanks guys. I know the 80 had needle bearings as opposed to the plastic bush for the 79 for the swing arm. I will have a closer look at the current vs the spare frame. At first glance I could see no additional gussets. Perhaps the option is to strip the bike down to the frame only and then see where it would be easiest to graft the two frames together.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, the biggest difference is the swingarm pivot attachment is completely different, along with the larger pivot bolt.

Dave

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Yes the swing arm is difrent it's 3/8 of a inch shorter aswell

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”