Drive chain sprocket combo -81 PL

Chm
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Drive chain sprocket combo -81 PL

Post by Chm »

Hi,
Just looking for input on which drive ratio you are using for the PL, 18 front, 42 teeth rear? Has anybody tried another combo?

Carl-Hugo

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Drive chain sprocket combo -81 PL

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I am happy with the gearing on my '81. I don't search for sixth gear like i occasionally do when riding the '79.
If you are finding it too "revvy" maybe you could change the rear to a 40T.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You being in Germany and moving your CBX probably at higher average speeds than the rest of the world, I would go for a different combo. Honda did not officially offer different set-ups for the Prolink in Europe than 18/42. But there was a 41T rear sprocket for a General Export version of the 1980 CBX-A. It eludes me right now, what the front sprocket size was. But there is a myriad of different sprocket sizes available in Germany that go down as far as 35T in the rear.
I would consult with a German CBXer who is running a 530 chain.

Chm

Post by Chm »

Hi,
Failing to find an answer here in EU I turn again to the west, anybody tried any other combination for their PL?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I find it strange, that none of the "experts" in Germany will give you any advice, considering that hardly anybody there rides a stock CBX and they all want to go faster.
My 1983 CB1100R, which is a European model, has a 18/39 combo with a 530 chain. These parts would fit the CBX.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Hi, Carl-Hugo,

I'm using a 40T rear on my '82. (Stock engine.) I do notice the small loss of torque when starting from rest; especially, on any grade. However, a slight extra 'slipping' of the clutch and all is well. Otherwise, not particularly noticeable. Except, perhaps, when needing some extra 'push' when passing; or, when encountering a significant grade. This provides a 4+ % rev reduction. It is appreciable at highway speed. Ha not caused any observed change to fuel economy. If you ride 'mountainous' roads often, or with a passenger, I would recommend using the stock 42.

Hope this helps you.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

There are a lot of 17/39 complete kits available on ebay Germany. (CB1100R Kettenkit) This gives you a slightly faster ratio than the 18/42. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Chm

Post by Chm »

Thanks all of you,

I'm looking to reduce the rpm slightly when cruising @ app 100-120 kmh, however, I ride in the Black Forest mountain roads which is very nice, but goes up and down continously. So, based on what I have learned here I will probably stay with the original 18/42.
I did finally get some reposne here iin DE as well and it seems like most people stay with the 18/42 here as well unless they have done some tuning and have a little bit more power.

Thank you all!

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”