race tech or progressive springs

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

race tech or progressive springs

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Mon May 07, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: race tech or progressive springs

Post by NobleHops »

Opinions on this will vary, but in my experience most wobbles start at the rear of the bike. I did the Race Tech and fork brace path for my fork and like it, but from a troubleshooting sense, before you start throwing parts at a handling problem, try to diagnose it first. Look at the swingarm pivot for starters, wheel bearings and tires, then the steering head.

All that said, I'm a big fan of the RaceTech setup, really improves these primitive damper rod forks.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Mon May 07, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

If you are replacing the shocks, swingarm bearings and tires i wouldn't spend any more money on it until you can take it for a ride.
Fork internals and a brace MIGHT not be required.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Mon May 07, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

wyly wrote:yeah good advice I was thinking along those same lines. Of coarse I don't want to find out if its not enough by experiencing another wobble at speed again, the next could be fatal. So not doing more is hard to resist, to have the bars nearly ripped from your hands at highway speeds isn't an enjoyable experience.

My technician who has been building drag and racing bikes for 35 years claims it's a front end problem due to spindle forks. Then there are posts Ive read in this forum that claims all handling problems with the z start at the swing arm bushings and shocks. Lots of experts all with valid opinions to be respected.
It's all about confidence, frankly. I'm with Steve, you've made really sensible mods so far and I think it's quite possible your bike is going to be excellent and your appetite for exploring its limits might be a bit diminished. So hang out a bit, you're not going to spend any more money to wait and see :-).

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Mon May 07, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

You can nearly eliminate the wobble, or oscillation, of the front end by sliding your butt as far forward on the seat as practical, and leaning forward as well. Lower handlebars help here.

My '79 was terrible, and still is, if I don't make an effort to put more weight on the front tire.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Most of the wobbles in CBXes are caused by improper adjusted or loose steering neck bearings. 8)
Check what Mike Nixon has to say about this:
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... cking.html

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Wyly,

If it's a handlebar nibble type of 'wobble', most likely head bearings. Fork changes won't do much, if anything, for this. If it's an overall bike shake, it's what Rick mentioned. Especially, if it's at a speed over 70mph. In that case, check the rear suspension overall. Tire pressures -- set to spec. Yes, pressure too low can cause some funny things. BUT, too high will cause loss of tire damping which, then, helps to induce rear end wobble/shake. And, again, as Rick mentioned, get the weight forward! Especially, once a wobble/weave begins. That's the significant reason that the book will tell you not to put more than 10 pounds in the bags on the prolinks. (It may not be mentioned in the book for the early models because they don't have bags. Still applies!) If you are traveling with a duffel bag, etc. laid over the back just remember that this may contribute measurably to a severe head-shake; especially to any weight that gets behind the rear axle.

Have a safe ride.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Mon May 07, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

wyly, if you haven't already purchased the Metzlers i would check out PetesSuperbike in Montreal.
$500.00 seems like a lot.
Pete's has great prices with fast shipping.
http://www.petes-superbike.com/metzeler ... 1_167.html

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”