79 & Boomerang wheels Questions

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

79 & Boomerang wheels Questions

Post by johnod »

Like the subject states, I'm hoping to put Boomerang wheels on my 79.

I've upgraded to prolink forks, and brakes on the front, and have some sort of different swingarm on the back, ( no I don't know what it is).

So I'm wondering, does anybody know what mix and match of parts works, lines things up, brakes sprockets , speedo drive... etc?

I'll be using an 83 VF750 rear 18 x 3, front CB1100 18 x 2.5

Thanks

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 & Boomerang wheels Questions

Post by EMS »

Everything will work. Your speedometer will be off, because you are going from a 19 to a 18 inch front wheel. Rotors and calipers will bolt on. Depending on your own idea of looks, you may have to elongate the mounting holes on the front fender to lower it a little for the smaller wheel.

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnod »

I use my cbx rotor and calipers?

Thanks for reply, I like your bike.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

For the speedo try using a CB1100F front wheel speedo gear, it is for a 18inch wheel. Some early Gold wings used a 18 in front wheel also. I want to do the same swap except I have rims from a Bold'Or. Let us know how it turns out.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

johnod wrote:I use my cbx rotor and calipers?
Yes! But while you're at it, you can upgrade to dual piston calipers from CB900F with rotors from that bike. You may need the caliper hangers. But stock CBX set-up will work with gold boomerangs

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnod »

I already have prolink calipers installed on the front, so if they will fit I'll probably stick with them for now at least.

What about the sprocket, which will fit?

Thanks for all the help so far.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

johnod wrote:I already have prolink calipers installed on the front, so if they will fit I'll probably stick with them for now at least.

What about the sprocket, which will fit?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Your stock sprocket should fit. How are you using Prolink calipers? With the stock 79 rotors? That would be an odd fit.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Might be time to swap to the 530 chain/sprocket set-up.

John, if you already have the Prolink calipers, why not go with Prolink rotors.
I used EBC brake pads and they are available in 3 widths to compensate for rotor thickness.
FA69-10mm
FA69/2-9mm
FA69/3-11.3mm

Now i am curious about the swingarm. How about a pic.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:
johnod wrote:I use my cbx rotor and calipers?
Yes! But while you're at it, you can upgrade to dual piston calipers from CB900F with rotors from that bike. You may need the caliper hangers. But stock CBX set-up will work with gold boomerangs
+1, Do this if you're upgrading running gear, it was a great improvement.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I had to go back to read the OP! :roll:
Of course, you do have Prolink front end with brake set-up including rotors. Prolink rotors will work on Boomerang wheels. If someone has changed the swingarm, they may have changed the rear brake set-up also. But if it fits with the stock 79 wheel, it will fit with the 18x3.00 VF750 wheel too.
You are effectively lowering the front end with that change and your trail will be shorter, making the steering a little quicker. I am not going into the discussion about what that does together with the Prolink fork, but you should be aware of this.
The 79 has a tendency to wobble at higher speeds if it is not set up perfect, and this change may make this worse. Just ride careful.

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnod »

There are several departures from stock, that I know.
What the parts are I do not know.
The previous owner did the work I assume, but he passed away sometime ago, before I bought it, I bought the bike from a dealer in Wichita, through Ebay, there were 2 from the PO for sale, this, and what appeared to be an original in very nice shape.

That's why I don't know too much, about much of the bike.

The rotors are also changed, again I don't know what they are, aftermarket I think, box section aluminum swingarm, corbin seat , ss brake lines,, prolink front calipers, rear caliper I don't know.
To that I've added the prolink front forks.

I'm not good at posting pics , or I'd happily do so, maybe someone might recognise some of the stuff which would be great.

I can email pics if someone would be willing to post them.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

johnod wrote:There are several departures from stock, that I know.
What the parts are I do not know.
The previous owner did the work I assume, but he passed away sometime ago, before I bought it, I bought the bike from a dealer in Wichita, through Ebay, there were 2 from the PO for sale, this, and what appeared to be an original in very nice shape.

That's why I don't know too much, about much of the bike.

The rotors are also changed, again I don't know what they are, aftermarket I think, box section aluminum swingarm, corbin seat , ss brake lines,, prolink front calipers, rear caliper I don't know.
To that I've added the prolink front forks.

I'm not good at posting pics , or I'd happily do so, maybe someone might recognise some of the stuff which would be great.

I can email pics if someone would be willing to post them.
If you can shift with your foot while you clutch with your hand, you can master posting pics in about 5 minutes my friend :-). Give it a try. Once you do master that this crew can tell you what every component is and help you in other ways too. There are a few 'how to' posts about posting pictures, or you can just just the "upload attachment" method below the message composition window. You can dooooo eeeet!

N.

P.S. If you're really stuck email them to me and I will post them for you. But I'm betting on you.
Nils Menten

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnod »

EMS wrote:I had to go back to read the OP! :roll:
Of course, you do have Prolink front end with brake set-up including rotors. Prolink rotors will work on Boomerang wheels. If someone has changed the swingarm, they may have changed the rear brake set-up also. But if it fits with the stock 79 wheel, it will fit with the 18x3.00 VF750 wheel too.
You are effectively lowering the front end with that change and your trail will be shorter, making the steering a little quicker. I am not going into the discussion about what that does together with the Prolink fork, but you should be aware of this.
The 79 has a tendency to wobble at higher speeds if it is not set up perfect, and this change may make this worse. Just ride careful.

After a little checking around , it would seem the smaller front wheel( 1 inch smaller) would lower front end .5 inches lower than stock.
A 95 tire instead of a 90 seems to be .4 inches larger in dia., meaning I gain back .2 inches in height.
This leaves bike lower by .3 inches., or just over 1/4 inch lower.
Seems I could slide the legs down in the yokes that far and the fork caps would be about flush with top of clip-ons.

Opinions?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

johnod wrote:
EMS wrote:I had to go back to read the OP! :roll:

After a little checking around , it would seem the smaller front wheel( 1 inch smaller) would lower front end .5 inches lower than stock.
A 95 tire instead of a 90 seems to be .4 inches larger in dia., meaning I gain back .2 inches in height.
This leaves bike lower by .3 inches., or just over 1/4 inch lower.
Seems I could slide the legs down in the yokes that far and the fork caps would be about flush with top of clip-ons.

Opinions?
How many links are on the chain with that mystery swingarm? I think 104 is stock. If you're at 106 then your swingarm is a bit longer, and that increased wheelbase might nicely offset any added quickness the slightly steeper steering head might induce.
Nils Menten

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

johnod wrote: Seems I could slide the legs down in the yokes that far and the fork caps would be about flush with top of clip-ons.

Opinions?
Normally, the fork caps are "about flush" with the clip-ons.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”