'80 Damaged fork sliders...

not_bob_3
New Member & Happy To Be Here

'80 Damaged fork sliders...

Post by not_bob_3 »

Hi,
I'm still working on restoring a decent 79-80 Frankenbike. I dissassembled the fork over the week-end and I noticed one tube was showing more resistance than the other. I see 2 clear spots on the inside of the fork slider. I can't really tell if this is normal casting shrinkage or if something REALLy bad happened in the past. I did have to bully the fork to pull out the seal, I think it was the original piece and that fork never been serviced. The stinking green goo I cleaned up tells me it never was (grossiest non-body fluid I've ever seen! :? . I hope I didn't inflic these damages myself, although I bullied both tubes equally, only one showed up damaged.

My question is : is this damage too important to have a safe/reliable fork assembly? I don't plan to have it filled and machined since I have access to a second bike for parts ('79 though). I assume I can use the slider from the '79 or the whole fork assembly. I prefer the cross-drilled discs but I also assume they are interchangeable.

Comments?

Side note : the internal components of the damaged fork are in decent shape. The bottom piece (looking like an empty gun shell) do look a bit damaged compared to the other side of the fork. I haven't found any debris in the dropped fluid, weird... that bike wasn't functioning when I got it so I can't comment on the ride or if the fork worked correctly.

and bonus!
Francis from up North
'80 CBX / '08 KLR 650 / '70 Motobécane Pantin / '11 Accord coupe V6
"CAD guys do it with models"

not_bob_3

Re: '80 Damaged fork sliders...

Post by not_bob_3 »

bump!
anyone?
Francis from up North

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'd go ahead and use it, I guess. Make sure all the buggered area is smoothed off on the edges.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

not_bob_3 wrote: I assume I can use the slider from the '79 or the whole fork assembly. I prefer the cross-drilled discs but I also assume they are interchangeable.
The sliders of the 79 differ from the 80.

not_bob_3

Post by not_bob_3 »

EMS wrote:
not_bob_3 wrote: I assume I can use the slider from the '79 or the whole fork assembly. I prefer the cross-drilled discs but I also assume they are interchangeable.
The sliders of the 79 differ from the 80.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Francis from up North

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”