Fork seals on '82

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Fork seals on '82

Post by daves79x »

OK - how about a chain 'noise reducer'? That's what it's for. Honda came up with that system for a reason.

Dave

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

The OEM front sprocket on my Yamaha FZ-1 has a molded-on urethane dampening ring. It is supposed to contact the chain to cushion the two as they mesh. In theory, should make for quieter chain action. I had a different experience. Used Renthal aftermarket instead.
Barry

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Dave,
I do understand and tried mounting it like you've suggested however, if you see on the picture, sprocket that's inline with large fiber rings, has wide center on which fiber rings are being centered.
The other sprocket on the picture does not have the same center and the fiber rings cannot be held in place the same way.
I could not center them.
I would have to instal it the way it was, with the washer in order for the cover plate not to rub against the chain.
Maybe I should just install OEM sprocket and not worry about it.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You have all the correct parts and your sprocket's lack of a large shoulder is not the problem. I have right here a brand new JT replacement front sprocket that looks exactly like your small-shouldered one. The fiber rings will not 'float' if installed correctly. The cup in the metal plate holds the larger fiber ring in place and the thin fiber ring just sits on the shouldered part of the large one. When tightened up, nothing moves except the small amount of elliptical movement the thin ring has around the shoulder of the larger one, which is the intent.

I think you have something backwards if everything is still loose when you tighten it up. It goes exactly like the Honda drawing you show and in fact, the sprocket shown in the drawing looks just like the aftermarket one you have in the picture.

Dave

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

I installed new fork seals 2 years ago and noticed they are weeping fluid slightly. I had filled them with Honda ATF fork oil when I replaced the seals.
The fork tubes are in perfect condition and hold 8 psi of air pressure indefinitely. Is ATF fluid prone to leaking more than 10W fork oil? Do I want OEM Honda fork seals or after market "leak proof " seals? Thanks.

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

I have only used fork oil nd tried to always use Honda seals. If you are familiar with the Seal Mate you might want to try that before doing anything. Could just be dirt! Instead of the Seal Mate you can also use some old 35mm film if you can find any.

I have also heard that some folks have added a little Lucas Oil Sealer to the fork oil. Never tried so don't know if it works.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I made my own Seal Mate, actually two of them the first was to flimsy...my daughter bought some undies and they were packed in a flexible plastic case.

I was doubtful it would would work on weepy 20+ yr old fork seals on my GS rebuild but it did. Five minutes to make the tool and another five swiping the fork seals and they stopped weeping :D
I was so pleased I made a 2nd tool one for each tool box.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

daves79x wrote:
Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:47 am
You have all the correct parts and your sprocket's lack of a large shoulder is not the problem. I have right here a brand new JT replacement front sprocket that looks exactly like your small-shouldered one. The fiber rings will not 'float' if installed correctly. The cup in the metal plate holds the larger fiber ring in place and the thin fiber ring just sits on the shouldered part of the large one. When tightened up, nothing moves except the small amount of elliptical movement the thin ring has around the shoulder of the larger one, which is the intent.

I think you have something backwards if everything is still loose when you tighten it up. It goes exactly like the Honda drawing you show and in fact, the sprocket shown in the drawing looks just like the aftermarket one you have in the picture.

Dave
Dave,

After all these years, my chain and sprockets wore and need replacing. Now that I got new JT sprockets, I see why I wasn’t able to mount dampers the way you were saying. Front sprocket that I had on, had small shoulder on both sides, new JT doesn’t nor does the original Honda’s that i have. So the sprocket that I had on the bike is wrong sprocket. Since It has shoulders on both sides, it was a bit offset from where it should be. That’s why I had to use extra metal washer to hold all dampers in place. So my chain probably was not aligned properly.
It took few years to figure this out 😂
In the pictures, sprockets are lined up left to right: New JT, the one I had on and on the right is the old Honda’s that I got in the box with the bike.
Sasha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

There you go!

Dave

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”