Vortex sprocket - recessed area for nuts

super jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Vortex sprocket - recessed area for nuts

Post by super jim »

I have a Vortex rear sprocket for the 80 CBX. part number 253-42 as listed on the Vortex website. The mounting holes have a recessed area. I assume that was for the sprocket nut to sit in but the factory 12mm nuts are larger than the recessed area. The holes are 12mm. Should there be washers in the recessed area?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Vortex sprocket - recessed area for nuts

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Jim, i have seen set-ups like this used on aftermarket sprockets.
Sort of like a tapered lug nut on my truck tires.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/ ... ug-Nut-Set

super jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by super jim »

my recessed area is counter sunk (flat) not counter bored (tapered). A flat washer might work. The Vortex engineer has been looking into the matter all afternoon. I expected he would have an immediate answer and resolution. I'll see what they come up with. In the mean time, I have some aluminum flat washers on the way.

super jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by super jim »

Vortex determined that this sprocket, for the CBX, should not have the couter sunk holes. Good news is, they are going to make a new part number for the CBX and make one without the conter shinks. And send me a new one at no charge. That's good service and means there will be the correct sprocket for the X available. Now if they would just offer it in the hard coat.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”