Hardtail CBX

onewheelskyward
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Hardtail CBX

Post by onewheelskyward »

'79. So, first I noticed that the ride was a little bumpier than usual, specifically in the back end. I put some air in the tire, just in case. Then I noticed that the bike didn't lean onto the sidestand the way it used to. On the ride in this morning, I realized why-- the rear suspension is absolutely frozen. Presumably in the bottomed-out position, which would explain the sidestand, and the additional lift I needed to use the center stand. Also the pain in my rear.

They're aftermarket coil-overs, and they provided a good ride until now. What should I be looking at replacing them with? Ideally I'd keep the springs since they're progressive and in good shape. I'll take some photos later and post them.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Hardtail CBX

Post by NobleHops »

I am probably going to orphan a pair of Progressive shocks I never bonded with very shortly, sprung for my weight (#230 in my gear). Perhaps your springs will fit these shocks!

I'll make you Such a Deal!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Frozen rear shocks?
Maybe one more victim of the Vipex fiasco.

onewheelskyward

Post by onewheelskyward »

Vipex fiasco?

So, they aren't completely frozen. When I got back to the bike the back end had dropped to normal extension. When it landed, it landed hard and I pushed on the seat once, twice and then three times. Every time I pushed it lowered more with no return until it bottomed out. The good news is, I can push it hard onto the sidestand and it will tip into it.

NobleHops, send me info and/or measurements of those shocks, I might be interested.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Hey there,

I have a pair of these, with the heavier rate springs.

http://cbxperformance.com/oscommerce/pr ... osCsid=564

I'll tell you quite frankly I feel that these are inferior shocks. Or perhaps the damping is way mismatched to the spring, given that I uprated the spring, and it is of course a non-adjustable shock. Tim's and others sell these for EDIT ~$240 a pair plus shipping and tax. These have roughly 1000 miles on them, and look near-new in appearance. I'd be delighted to get half that, shipped to your very door, including the preload spanner wrench and some good chrome bolts for the clevis at bottom.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have never had a shock acting like this. If they do not bounce back, they are usually binding somehow or the rod is bent. Did you change anything else on the bike, like putting a longer swingarm in? Curious.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”