Looking at an easy wheel replacment.

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Looking at an easy wheel replacment.

Post by patzx12 »

Hi, 82 Pro-link CBX1000
I stripped out the pro-link rear so i could give everything a good clean. I am considering wheel upgrade, i told my wife to hide my angle grinder to prevent me cutting up the frame. I am an engineer and tend to go for the most difficult solution unless i show restraint.
I only want the bike off the road for 2 or 3 weeks.
I have a few bits lying around.
Blackbird swing arm, fits straight in but the new shock mount position will interfere with the battery and airbox too much.
Suzuke SRAD swingarm, easy enough to fit and the shock mount would be only 2" higher than stock position, i have already done this on my 79 project.
I had a look at the Pro-link arm and i think it is a really good piece of kit well made and plenty strong, the inner linkage arms are a bit daft and they interfere if a wider tyre is used.
Also i like the pro-link forks, spongy but with an upgrade and good springs they should be as good as any modern conventional forks.
I ride a R1200GS Adventure and i have done everything on it including knee down track days. i like the tyre sizes on this bike and i thing the same sizes will work really well on the CBX.
110 x 19 front, 150 x 17 rear.
So here is the plan:
Honda Varadero wheels and discs, Mich Pilot 3 tyres. Upgrade the calipers (easy job for me to CNC some caliper mounts).
It will require a modification to the linkage to eliminate the inner fork pieces but this can be easily done.
I would probably dump the air shock and fit an aftermarket with ride height adjustment. I think its a good shock but i would change it out, its 31 years old.
Commentsand advice please.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”