Fork Rebuilding

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Fork Rebuilding

Post by Larry Zimmer »

There have been a couple Topics, recently, regarding fork work -- rebuilding, new seals, etc. While reading them, and noticing some of the 'learning' experiences in them (great stuff for all, especially riders newer to the 'art'), I thought I'd pass this along. When reassembling the fork tubes, don't miss the thin flat 'washer' that is to be inserted into the upper tube BEFORE dropping the rebound spring into it. Then, drop the damper rod through all. This 'washer' is not shown, or mentioned, in the shop manual (page 13-33 of the 81/82 manual), nor anywhere else. It's important; because, it functions as a check valve in rebound. For a good explanation of basic fork function, and this washer, you might refer to this website: http://racetech.com/html_files/DampingRodForks.HTML . An excellent cross-section of a typical fork of that era. It, also, shows the washer described as "rebound check valve". One other 'hint': When you separate the tubes, in slide hammer fashion, remember to remove the damper rod bolt FIRST. Honda merely call it a "socket bolt" in the manual and parts list. One other thing, after removing the snap ring, the seal will come out when you separate the tubes. No need for the shop manual mess method of oil and press, etc.

And, a special thanks to Ben Zehnder for sharing his experiences with all. These are the types of things that help considerably for 'first timers' and help make the Forum "go 'round".

Compliments of my phD from the school of experience (aka school of busted knuckles)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Fork Rebuilding

Post by Houtman »

Larry,thanks for your post;I looked at the pictures and decided to order the book : Race Tech Motorcycle Suspension Bible.It was only about $20 thru Amazon and this will give me a better understanding about motor cycle suspensions etc.I am thinking about putting Ohlins on my CB1000 but do not know if it is really worth the high cost of improving the standard rear suspension on that bike.Does anyone have some experience in putting Ohlins on a naked mid 1990,s bike ?

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Larry, good stuff as always.
And I wonder, is all this equally applicable to the 79/80 (Z and A) models?
Cheers, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Confessing ignorance, I don't know, Aris. Hopefully, Dave, or others, will have an answer. Thank you for all your posts of your great job. You now have one fine CBX.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

You are way - way too nice Larry.
As for the 'fine CBX', it is now gathering dust in the garage, with winter finally having fallen upon us, here in the Mediterranean.
Incredibly, this is the first winter it's sitting idle in a corner, IN ONE PIECE, battery charged and ready to take on the road; a rare treat, considering all my previous perils!
Like most of you, I can't wait for the summer :-)
Keep up the good work.
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Aris:

How cold does Winter get over in your part of the Med?

Dave

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Dave

Where I live (a northern suburb of Athens called Kifisia), it usually snows 2 or 3 times a year.
Right now it is about 8 ~ 10' C, but can linger around 4 or 5' C usually in January and Feb.
Clearly not very cold, and you do see loads of people riding bikes all year round ..

But for me Dave, riding a bike is a hobby and a pleasure, so prefer to ride when temperatures climb to well over 20'C.
So now, as far as I am concerned, it is bitterly cold ;-)

And before all of you, my North American friends jump on me, I have spent 2 winters in Minneapolis and I do know what a -60'C chill factor is!

All the best
Aris

P.S. Dave, is Larry's original post above, equally applicable to the Z?
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”