Longer Dogbones for a Pro-link

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Longer Dogbones for a Pro-link

Post by Spoke »

Hi all, I need to lower my Pro-link, by a few inches. Having looked into this I think that changing the dogbones that connect the base of the shock to the frame would be the most effective method.
I have replaced the old air shock with a new spring shock.
Are longer dogbones available anywhere, or is anyone making such things?

Paul,
UK.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Longer Dogbones for a Pro-link

Post by NobleHops »

Hey Paul,

I don't know the answer to your question specifically, but I did buy a set of replacement dogbones for my VStrom from a vendor on eBay to do the opposite - I needed to raise the rear to quicken the steering without losing ground clearance. The ones I got were machined out of aluminum plate - they were stone simple, and they have been on there for a few years without any signs of distress.

Given that experience, and my skepticism about you finding something in the marketplace, I think your best bet would be to remove the ones you have, make your best guess/calculation about what length you need, and trot down to a nearby machine shop with them and have new ones fabricated.

In the case of my Suzuki, a shorter dogbone resulted in a higher rear end - not sure what you'll need on a Prolink. Note that if you do indeed lower it 'several inches' it will steer like a chopper unless you lower the front a similar amount, and then you best be mindful about lost cornering clearance.

I tried to find my former vendor on eBay but came up with this guy instead:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/C-J-Accessories

He's in the UK, sells raising and lowering kits for many bikes and might be a good place to start.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spoke »

Hey Thank you for your comprehensive & informative reply.
I have noted the Uk vendor you kindly sent me the link to.
I'm thinking I may well just do as you suggest & find a local machine shop to fabricate some for me.
All the best,
Paul.

(BTW, my CBX is a chopper) :-)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Haha, OK then, carry on! You're on your way!

Did you get badgered into posting pics yet? Sorry if I'm forgetting, but I'd love to see it. Again, perhaps :-).

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Keep in mind, too, that if you lower it (especially a couple inches as you stated) that you may need to alter the side stand to prevent the bike from standing too straight-up. And, if you're using the center stand, you will notice a considerable effort increase to get it up onto the center stand. Just a couple things to know/consider along with Nils' mention of steering goemetry/handling change.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Mixtbag
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Mixtbag »

This is an interesting thread and you may have answered a related problem that I was looking for info to answer: I recently purchased an 81 CBX that has had a Works Ultrasport adjustable rear shock installed that I suspect has lowered the bike somewhat. I almost immediately noticed that I cannot muscle the bike up onto the center stand no matter how hard I try! AND it does rest a bit more upright on the side stand than I feel comfortable with. Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks,
Mixtbag
'81 CBX pretending it's a '79
Pacific Palisades, CA

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Mixtbag,

What size rear tire do you have? That makes a difference as well.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mixtbag wrote:This is an interesting thread and you may have answered a related problem that I was looking for info to answer: I recently purchased an 81 CBX that has had a Works Ultrasport adjustable rear shock installed that I suspect has lowered the bike somewhat. I almost immediately noticed that I cannot muscle the bike up onto the center stand no matter how hard I try! AND it does rest a bit more upright on the side stand than I feel comfortable with. Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks,
When the air pressure is low on my 81 stock rear shock, it is harder to move on to the centerstand. I would assume that if you lose that feature and the shock retains a height slightly lower than stock, you would have a similar problem.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”