80 CBX Suspension Upgrade Ideas?

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

80 CBX Suspension Upgrade Ideas?

Post by gak1047 »

I recently purchased a 80 CBX and had it out for my first ride on it. Beside having some carb issues, I noticed the suspension is way too soft. I am thinking I will need to replace the shocks, fork springs, and fork oil. Any suggestions for a 240 lb rider who's petite wife like to go along for the ride most of the time?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 80 CBX Suspension Upgrade Ideas?

Post by daves79x »

First, welcome! The '80's are the best. If you have stock shocks, they are pretty adjustable. I assume you've set them full stiff on all damping and spring settings? If they are not the stock shocks, then you'll need something else. But even the stock shocks will lose their damping after 20,000 miles or so.

I've been able to find 1100F shocks in good condition and they work great, but good sets are getting hard to find. Others can chime in on aftermarket options. The front forks likely need rebuilt anyway, so start with new seals and 10wt oil filled to 6 inches from the top with springs out and fork collapsed. That will make them as good as they can get. You can add 5lbs of air, but most guys don't. If your bike has many miles, steering bearings likely will need replaced also.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Hi ya, gak.
Progressive fork springs, 10 weight oil and i actually used the air helped my '80 handle better.
The trouble being having to add the air frequently.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Welcome gak. I'll chime in and agree with what Dave said, but add that for full size riders :o , or riding two-up, perhaps 15w oil would be preferable in the front. 20w is way too harsh. It's easy enough to experiment and find what works best for you.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

racetech gold valve cartridge emulator kit for the front forks. Amazig difference to me.
/r
Brad

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

Hey gak
I have an 80 also and spent a good deal of time trying to perfect the suspension particularly the rear shocks; see following thread viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7317
I'm also 240lbs and run standard springs up front with 10lbs of air in them.
I bought a pair of Progressive 412's which work well over soft undulations but will be harsh over concrete joints and the like.
This is the best combination I could come up with without spending too much money. Sometimes you have to accept that these are 30 year old motorcycles and wil not perform like a modern BMW RT1200 for instance.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Ross

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

I would like to thank all of you for your suggestions. I am amazed at the amount of knowledge and help available on this site. A good friend of mine belongs and suggested I join. One of the best things I have done in a long time. Thanks again for all your help.

Greg

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Welcome to the ICOA forum, Greg! We all hope to hear more from you from now on forward. One thing left to do is join the ICOA... :D :D :D ;-)

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

I did that last week!

super jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by super jim »

YSS Shock Assembly RE 302-370 T - offset 399.00

I just purchased and installed these from EPM. Service was great. The quality looks to be very good. I elected to go with the off-set (only available on this model YSS) to give clearance for the chain/chain guard and the left and the linkage and brake line on the right side. The coil springs extend down further on the shock than the originals, giving you much more usable spring. Note: I'm running the Kerker 6-1 and on the right side and I had to move the muffler bracket mount from the backside of the foot rest support to the front side so the muffler would clear the springs.

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

I know this is an old thread but would the same comments apply to the '79 model? I've been thinking about swapping out the shocks for something else but would it be worth fiddling with the original ones considering they are getting on 34 years old now? Can the originals be improved or rebuilt?

I generally find I have to make some changes to my suspension of my bikes as the settings were clearly not setup for a rider of my build!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Sure thing, Mello.
I would not bother spending any money on a stock shock resto.
CB1100F, Progressive, YSS, plenty of good options for the rear.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”